[comp.sys.mac.programmer] APDA?

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (08/11/89)

This fall, I'm planning on getting into Macintosh programming
quite heavily.  Now, everyone mentions APDA as a source for
alot of material, my question is, how much and is it worth it
to join.  I'm not planning on  writing commercial software as
of yet, so I'd probably be looking at the "junior" membership.
What does this include?  What about that other group, tech-
alliance (or something like that).  What about discounts for
university students?  (I want to get the commtoolbox and the
midi doo-hickey)

Email please, if anyone wants a summary, I'll send it to them.

David..

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Future Vision:  Progressive & Innovative (1:250/428)

jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) (08/14/89)

David:

  APDA is a great source of info for Mac programmers.  Product discounts also are of interest to people like yourself.

  APDA merged with Apple computers Mac Tech developer group.  Their magazine "MacTech Quarterly is one of the most informative Macintosh magazines that I have come in contact with.  I don't have their number handy but if you want it, just send me a message and I will be happy to get it for you.

  Jeffrey Vetter...

  This is my gun, Clyde...

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (08/15/89)

In article <840002@hpsad.HP.COM> jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) writes:
>  APDA is a great source of info for Mac programmers.  Product discounts
>  also are of interest to people like yourself.

I would say that APDA is a great source of info for Mac MARKETEERS.  However,
Apple products (such as MacTCP, MPW, etc.) are ONLY available from APDA, so
in that sense, it's worth it.

>  APDA merged with Apple computers Mac Tech developer group.

APDA did NOT merge with Apple's MacTech developer group.  APDA USED to be
a function of the A.P.P.L.E. Co-op, until Apple decided that they didn't
have enough control over what the Co-op said about Apple (my opinion).
Apple then TOOK OVER the APDA function from the Co-op, and apparently did
some legal manuevering (hence the name change from the A.P.P.L.E. Co-op to
MacTech).

> Their magazine "MacTech Quarterly is one of the most informative Macintosh
> magazines that I have come in contact with.  I don't have their number handy
> but if you want it, just send me a message and I will be happy to get it for
> you.

Again, MacTech Quarterly is NOT published by APDA, but by the people that
USED to be APDA.  I must agree with you that (from a programmer's perspective)
it is one of the most informative Macintosh magazines.  It has a lot of "how
it works" and "how to do" articles, where the APDAlog is more "boy do we have
lots of wonderful stuff to sell you" articles.

While I belong to both organizations, the ONLY reason I currently belong to
APDA is because it is the ONLY place to get "genuine" Apple products (as
noted above).

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

jsv@hpsad.HP.COM (Jeff Vetter) (08/15/89)

David:

  APDA's toll free number:  800-282-APDA.