[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Printing BitMaps

tonyg@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) (08/11/89)

I'm trying to print a bit map to a laserwriter over appletalk, and
I'm having a rather strange problem. When I print the image directly
to the printer, I get a pattern that looks like an 8 bit images is
being interpreted as a one bit deep image. However, with the same
code if I enable background printing the bitmap prints correctly.

I'm opening a standard mac window (with newwindow), and in fact
I open two windows and copybits the bitmap in the first window
to the second, to insure that I have a valid bit map.

Can anyone explain why the use of background printing should
make any difference???

				Tony Giaccone
				tonyg@cvs.rochester.edu

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/14/89)

In article <2700@ur-cc.UUCP> tonyg@cvs.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) writes:
>I'm trying to print a bit map to a laserwriter over appletalk, and
>I'm having a rather strange problem. When I print the image directly
>to the printer, I get a pattern that looks like an 8 bit images is
>being interpreted as a one bit deep image. However, with the same
>code if I enable background printing the bitmap prints correctly.
>
>I'm opening a standard mac window (with newwindow), and in fact
>I open two windows and copybits the bitmap in the first window
>to the second, to insure that I have a valid bit map.
>
>Can anyone explain why the use of background printing should
>make any difference???

I have a different question.  A co-worker of mine has been muttering
about how when his code prints a (usually AppleScanned) graphic
without background printing, it works.  When background printing is
on, there will sometimes be a horizontal, one pixel, white line
through the image, sometimes two.  The line seems not to be a missing
line of pixels, but an extra line of white pixels.  Sometimes, instead
of the line, the image will be horizontally offset, and wrapped
around.

Using the hidden "Disk File" checkbox in the print dialog, I compared
the images, and they differed by more then 30K for a 400K PostScript
file.

There are more things for me to check, but in the mean time, have any
of you seen differences between printing in the background and not?

Thanks.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/16/89)

In article <476@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>In article <2700@ur-cc.UUCP> tonyg@cvs.rochester.edu (Tony Giaccone) writes:
>>I'm trying to print a bit map to a laserwriter over appletalk, and
>>I'm having a rather strange problem. When I print the image directly
>>to the printer, I get a pattern that looks like an 8 bit images is
>>being interpreted as a one bit deep image. However, with the same
>>code if I enable background printing the bitmap prints correctly.
>>
>>I'm opening a standard mac window (with newwindow), and in fact
>>I open two windows and copybits the bitmap in the first window
>>to the second, to insure that I have a valid bit map.
>>
>>Can anyone explain why the use of background printing should
>>make any difference???
>
>I have a different question.  A co-worker of mine has been muttering
>about how when his code prints a (usually AppleScanned) graphic
>without background printing, it works.  When background printing is
>on, there will sometimes be a horizontal, one pixel, white line
>through the image, sometimes two.  The line seems not to be a missing
>line of pixels, but an extra line of white pixels.  Sometimes, instead
>of the line, the image will be horizontally offset, and wrapped
>around.
>
>Using the hidden "Disk File" checkbox in the print dialog, I compared
>the images, and they differed by more then 30K for a 400K PostScript
>file.
>
>There are more things for me to check, but in the mean time, have any
>of you seen differences between printing in the background and not?

The problem is that the 5.x LaserWriter drivers are not robust in low
memory situations which are (artifically) created when printing in
background.  This has been fixed in LaserWriter 6.0, avaliable with
32-bit QuickDraw on the Apple Color Disk.

						_emt