[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Autograph resource

lulue@manta.NOSC.MIL (Dan Lulue ) (08/14/89)

I tried to create an autograph resource for a custom application icon
via the New item in RE 1.2b3.  A window pops up with but I can't type
into it or paste to it.  When I close it, the new resource does not
appear in the resource list.

This can't be hard.  Is there some reasonable RE documentation around so
I don't have to ask inane questions like this?

Dan Lulue
lulue@nosc.mil

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/15/89)

In article <904@manta.NOSC.MIL>, lulue@manta (Dan Lulue ) writes:
>I tried to create an autograph resource for a custom application icon
>via the New item in RE 1.2b3.  A window pops up with but I can't type
>into it or paste to it.  When I close it, the new resource does not
>appear in the resource list.

Presumably, you mean a "version" resource with resource type the same
as the application creator type, yes?
   Do a "NEW" with the resource type; this will give you a window with
a title like "FOOs from xxx", for resource type FOO. Then do a NEW
again to create the first actual resource. I suspect you were just
doing the first step.

>Dan Lulue
>lulue@nosc.mil

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (08/17/89)

In article <904@manta.NOSC.MIL>, lulue@manta.NOSC.MIL (Dan Lulue ) writes:

> I tried to create an autograph resource for a custom application icon
> via the New item in RE 1.2b3.  A window pops up with but I can't type
> into it or paste to it.  When I close it, the new resource does not
> appear in the resource list.

Suppose you want to create a MOOF resource in a file that doesn't have any
MOOF resources.  Open the file.  Choose New.  ResEdit asks for a type; tell
it MOOF.  Now you have a window of MOOF resources, which is empty.  Choose
New (again).  Now you have an edit window for a new MOOF resource, which will
be the standard hex editor if there is no TMPL (template) for the MOOF type.
When you close the edit window, the resource will show in the list of MOOFs
with the random ID that ResEdit assigned to it; use Get Info to change the
ID.

You can paste into the window of MOOF resources (whether empty or not) if
and only if there is a MOOF resource on the clipboard.

> This can't be hard.  Is there some reasonable RE documentation around so
> I don't have to ask inane questions like this?

There was some ResEdit documentation a while ago; I think it may be on
CompuServe (AppDev forum) among other places.  I don't know if there is
any recent documentation.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)