[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Allegro Common Lisp

miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) (08/17/89)

Well, APDA won't answer technical questions, maybe someone inside apple who
is reading this list can...

CLOS and version 18 of Kent Pitmans condition system were accepted last
summer by X3J13... when will ACL support them?

Does ACL support logical pathnames? If not why not?

What is the position on the emerging CLIM standard? How compatible is the
existing window system with it? Will they support it if it is adopted?

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/18/89)

In article <1989Aug17.155858.13906@cs.rochester.edu>, miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
(Brad Miller) writes:
> CLOS and version 18 of Kent Pitmans condition system were accepted last
> summer by X3J13... when will ACL support them?

You can buy PCL (Portable Common Loops from Xerox--most of CLOS) from APDA.
Don't know about the condition system.

> Does ACL support logical pathnames?

Yes.

> What is the position on the emerging CLIM standard? How compatible is the
> existing window system with it? Will they support it if it is adopted?

Don't know about the last--you can deal with windows in ACL in two ways.
The normal way is to use the built-in window handling code, which is
based on Object Lisp (*not* CLOS), and works fairly well.  However, you
also have complete "raw" toolbox access, so it shouldn't be too bad to
port Common Windows or CLIM to ACL.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

alms@brazil.cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (08/18/89)

   From: miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
   Date: 17 Aug 89 15:58:58 GMT

   Well, APDA won't answer technical questions, maybe someone inside apple who
   is reading this list can...

were you suprised?

   CLOS and version 18 of Kent Pitmans condition system were accepted last
   summer by X3J13... when will ACL support them?

in version 2.0, which is currently under development.  The next release is
version 1.3, which is slated for October.  1.3's main new feature is a spiffy
interactive interface editor (extensible for new classes of interface
components, and comes with sources).  Also some random other speed
improvements and such.  2.0 is a much more ambitious rewrite, slated for
not "some time in 90".

   Does ACL support logical pathnames? If not why not?

MACL (the current name of ACL) has logical pathnames (has always had them).
There are some differences with the recently adopted standard logical
pathnames.  We'll implement the new standard with 2.0.

   What is the position on the emerging CLIM standard? How compatible is the
   existing window system with it? Will they support it if it is adopted?

We're aware of CLIM, and we're looking into it.  Right now the
spec is still being worked out, so it's perhaps too early to tell
whether it will be as good as everyone hopes.  We know that a portable
window system is something everyone wants, and we want to keep our
customors happy. . .

I think it's pretty unlikely that CLIM would get adopted as part of the
Common Lisp standard.  If it does, then we wouldn't have much choice
about supporting it (we're committed to supporting the full CL standard).

The current window system was written without CLIM in mind, so I don't think
there's much chance of them being 'compatible'.  Do you mean "how easy
would it be to implement CLIM on top of the current window system?"
I really don't know.  Parts would probably be easy, but other parts
would also probably be very hard.

-andrew

disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mine only.  They don't constitute
an official policy statement by my company.

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (08/18/89)

In article <1382@intercon.UUCP> amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <1989Aug17.155858.13906@cs.rochester.edu>, miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
>(Brad Miller) writes:
>> CLOS and version 18 of Kent Pitmans condition system were accepted last
>> summer by X3J13... when will ACL support them?

>You can buy PCL (Portable Common Loops from Xerox--most of CLOS) from APDA.
>Don't know about the condition system.

You can get PCL from arisia.xerox.com
via anonymous ftp.  It works under ACL, Symbolics,
TI and many others.  One grad here is using it
with ACL and a MacII with satisfactory results.
There may be other sources as well.

--
Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, School of Information and Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0280  404-894-8932