[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Disassembling

viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) (08/20/89)

Hi,

	Are there any disassemblers, out there for the Macs ?
	How does one go around disassembling a file ?

	thanks

	viraf bankwalla
	viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu
	uunet!gwusun!viraf

topping@yacht.cis.ohio-state.edu (brian e topping) (08/21/89)

MacNosy from Jasik Designs is a very good disassembler for the Mac, if you
can figure out how to use it.  I have been a registed owner for something
like 2+ years now and only figured out how to use it after Steve released the
new manuals.  Combined with "The Debugger", no bug/cheezy feature is safe.
Unfortunately, some of the advanced features they both have to make me
salivate are unusable because of bad docs and a wierd user interface.
The Debugger also has bugs, so you have to be weary of that also, most
irritating of which has to be AppleTalk is unuseable with The Debugger
installed (are you listening Steve?)  Don't get me wrong though, I still
use these products every day.  I consider them indespensible.

On the other hand, if you are interested in re-inventing the wheel, Apple
has included in the MPW 3.0 libraries some disassembly routines that I would
think take the grunge out of writing a disassembler.  To have something
useful with these you need a way to do symbol substitution for low mem
addresses and record structures.

Hope it helps...

Brian Topping
<topping@cis.ohio-state.edu>

think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) (08/22/89)

In article <1458@gwusun.gwu.edu>, viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:
> Hi,
>
> 	Are there any disassemblers, out there for the Macs ?
> 	How does one go around disassembling a file ?
>
> 	thanks

You can get one from FTP site umn-cs.cs.umn.edu.
It is disassembler.Z in pub/mac/utility.
It is old(1986) but still good.
I think Bob Arning updates the program, but I can't reach him.

good luck.    s j moon

f86_fredrik@fyvax2.fy.chalmers.se (08/23/89)

In article <17433@ut-emx.UUCP>, think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) writes:

> You can get one from FTP site umn-cs.cs.umn.edu.
> It is disassembler.Z in pub/mac/utility.
> It is old(1986) but still good.
> I think Bob Arning updates the program, but I can't reach him.

I have had this disassembler for about a fortnight now, and it has already
helped me solve several problems. I'd love to see an updated version, so if
anyone knows where to find one, or how to reach the author, please let me know.

|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |