[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Video DRAM usage?

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/16/89)

My calculations show that 217088 bytes of memory are unused by the Mac
II video card.  That is, assuming that an 8-bit video card requires
512K of dual-ported DRAM, and the display only uses 640*480 = 307200
bytes of memory (108544 unused bytes on a 4-bit card).

Does Color QuickDraw use this memory for something useful?  Has anyone
written code to exploit this extra memory?  It seems like an ideal
place to put a disk cache, or temporary pixel maps.  I was just
wondering.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/17/89)

In article <104700059@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> My calculations show that 217088 bytes of memory are unused by the Mac
> II video card.  [...]  It seems like an ideal
> place to put a disk cache, or temporary pixel maps.  I was just
> wondering.

What I think would be nifty would be to have a little INIT (like RasterOps
does) that tells Quickdraw it has, say, a 720x720 screen and pans around
it as the mouse hits the edges of the visible area.  The Mac II video board
does have hardware support for this sort of thing...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Morton) (08/25/89)

Some time back, Don Gillies wrote:
>My calculations show that 217088 bytes of memory are unused by the Mac
>II video card...
>
>Does Color QuickDraw use this memory for something useful?  Has anyone
>written code to exploit this extra memory?  It seems like an ideal
>place to put a disk cache, or temporary pixel maps.  I was just
>wondering.

A disk cache in your video RAM...  maybe we should call this a
"video disk"?  Remember, you heard it here first ;-)

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11378, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.