[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Munging the Munger

news@caen.engin.umich.edu (CAEN Netnews) (08/27/89)

  Out of curiosity, does anyone know if _Munger respects the size of the
handle you pass it if you call _Munger to perform a deletion?  Say you have
a handle, and you want to delete a chunk of bytes in the middle of the
handle.  Using _Munger to delete those bytes would move everything after
those bytes up, but what happens at the physical end of the handle?  What
does it put there?

Dean Yu                            |
University of Michigan             |    New signature under contruction...
Computer Aided Engineering Network |

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (08/27/89)

In article <4543dcb2.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu
(Dean Yu) writes:
>  Out of curiosity, does anyone know if _Munger respects the size of the
>handle you pass it if you call _Munger to perform a deletion?  Say you have
>a handle, and you want to delete a chunk of bytes in the middle of the
>handle.  Using _Munger to delete those bytes would move everything after
>those bytes up, but what happens at the physical end of the handle?  What
>does it put there?

According to the last note in the Munger description on page I-470 of
Inside Mac, it uses GetHandleSize and SetHandleSize to make sure that
the output handle is the correct length.  So the answer is that your
handle is truncated to the appropriate length.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded
 on the Christian religion." -- George Washington

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (08/29/89)

>According to the last note in the Munger description on page I-470 of
>Inside Mac, it uses GetHandleSize and SetHandleSize to make sure that
>the output handle is the correct length.  So the answer is that your
>handle is truncated to the appropriate length.

So if you're inserting, can you verify success by calling MemError to
check on the SetHandleSize.  You may certain of a match, but it may
not be able to allocate additional memory.

-Fred

| Fred Hollander                 |                                           |
| Computer Science Center        |     "Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ah what a day!"   |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.        |             -- Joker                      |
| Internet:    hollander@ti.com  |                                           |
| Telnet:      214/995-0696      |  The above statements are my own and not  |
| AppleLink:   D1392             |  representative of Texas Instruments.     |