[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Think C & WindowList - Watch Out

pnm@goanna.oz (Paul BIG EARS Menon) (09/05/89)

hi,
    If you're using the startup "WindowList", be wary of using Think
  C (maybe Pascal too).  I've  used Pascal's feature of finding procedures
  or functions in a window by holding the option/command key down while
  clicking on the title bar of the active window.  At the same time I could
  use WindowList's feature of selecting a window by command-clicking the
  title of the active window.  I've never had problems with this.

    Think C's option/command-titleBarClick feature is slightly different
  though - it displays all include files as a menu and opens one
  when selected (if not already open).  This difference may be the cause of
  the problems I have experienced when I use WindowList at the same time.
  They range from the Mac hanging to an "out of memory" exit from Think C.
  I guess the two features are competing.  Oh well, there goes WindowList...

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

PH:	+61 3 660 3209
CSNET:		pnm@goanna.rmit.oz
BITNET/ARPA:	pnm%goanna.rmit.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:		...!uunet!munnari!goanna.rmit.oz!pnm

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (09/05/89)

In article <2335@goanna.oz> pnm@goanna.oz (Paul BIG EARS Menon) writes:

>hi,
>    If you're using the startup "WindowList", be wary of using Think
>  C (maybe Pascal too).  I've  used Pascal's feature of finding procedures
>  or functions in a window by holding the option/command key down while
>  clicking on the title bar of the active window.  At the same time I could
>  use WindowList's feature of selecting a window by command-clicking the
>  title of the active window.  I've never had problems with this.
>
>    Think C's option/command-titleBarClick feature is slightly different
>  though - it displays all include files as a menu and opens one
>  when selected (if not already open).  This difference may be the cause of
>  the problems I have experienced when I use WindowList at the same time.
>  They range from the Mac hanging to an "out of memory" exit from Think C.
>  I guess the two features are competing.  Oh well, there goes WindowList...

  I usually don't announce vaporware, but my reputation as a viable programmer
is on the line here... :)
  WindowList works with THINK Pascal;  I had to put a special patch in for
that.  I admit the problem with THINK C in versions 1.3 of WindowList and
earlier.  There's an "in house" (as in, my roommate uses THINK C, and I
patched WindowList for him) version that seems to work with THINK C.

  I've got a very very beta version of WindowList 2.0 which puts a box next
to the close box, and clicking on this would pop down a list of menus.  This
in effect takes away the problem of which modifiers to use, and worrying about
specific programs using special modifiers, which, aside from every application
implementing floating palettes in their own manner (where is System 7?!?!) was
the biggest problem I had.
  The problem I have with 2.0 is that I don't manage to catch every standard
window.  Yet.
  Unfortunately, WindowList 2.0 is going to have to wait until I get
LaunchBreak (don't ask) debugged, and I settle into the new academic year.

  But here's a question for everyone who uses WindowList.  (I don't care if
you've registered with me or not.)  Would you rather have a box next to the
close box, or would you rather have a cdev where you can specifiy the
modifiers to use?  Reply to me via e-mail.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
 The standard disclaimers apply.   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104