[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re^2: Custom Icons

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt) (09/13/89)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:

>In article <GARY.89Sep12161013@sun.clarkson.edu> gary@sun.mcs.clarkson.edu
>	(Gary Levin) writes:
>>I am trying to create a custom icon for my application.  I have
>>created the ICN#, FREF, BNDL with ResEdit and the new icon comes up
>>fine.  Now I find that I need to edit the new icon...

>This is one of the classic Macintosh programming gotchas!  The most
>straightforward, brute force approach to this problem is to delete the
>Desktop file on the disk where the application resides, and then let
>the Finder build a new one.

A simpler way is just to restart your mac while holding down the option
and command keys.  The mac will then ask you if you would like to rebuild
the desktop file.  Be careful though, any comments used in the 'get info'
for a file will be lost.  Also, any documents, whose applications are not
present, will be changed to the standard document icon.

On large hard disks, rebuilding the desktop can take a while.  What I usually
do is copy the new application onto a floppy.  Rebuild the desktop on the
floppy (via the method mentioned above) and copy the file back to the hard
disk.  This updates the desktop file on your hard disk to reflect the new icon.

/Matt
----
Matt Kingman  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  (508)443-7311
      ...!uunet!tci!kingman         kingman@tci.bell-atl.com
     TCI is not responsible for my opinions, nor I for theirs...