[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is THINK C 4.0 ANSI compatible?

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (09/14/89)

In article <2614@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:

>	Factual Error #1: "pseudo" is incorrect: THINK C's object extensions
>support paradigms which are fundamental to object orientation: runtime
>binding, and inhertiance.
>
>	Factual Error #2: ANSI C is the next standard, not C++.

But, as far as I know, THINK 4.0 _does_ compile ANSI C, isn't it?
Does it also compile ANSI without the C++ extensions?

--
|                 | "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what |
| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or might |

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (09/15/89)

In article <8404@boring.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) writes:
>But, as far as I know, THINK 4.0 _does_ compile ANSI C, isn't it?

	Yes, except for "const" and "volatile" and some other things that
slip my mind; nevertheless, THINK C 4.0 is more conformant than a number
of C compilers that claim ANSI conformance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (09/16/89)

Although I think that Think C is a good product, saying that it
is ANSI conformant is like saying a motorcycle is a car, except
that it has two wheels missing. Not having const implemented is
a major mistake - you lose all of the type checking ability
(sorry, doing a #define of const to an empty comment does not solve
this problem). I couldn't care less if Think C scored higher on
some test - if it doesn't have const, it just ain't ANSI.

Andy Shebanow
Developer Technical Support
Apple Computer

Disclaimer: these opionions are mine and mine alone, and do not
reflect on Apple Computer, etc etc etc.