[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW C 2.02 question

rick@wam.UMD.EDU (09/16/89)

Does anyone know whether or not MPW C 2.02 will work correctly under the MPW
3.0 shell?  I will have to get 2.02 C and want to know if I will also have to
get the 2.02 shell.  I already have MPW 3.0 (shell and C).

	rick@wam.umd.edu
	rick@bagend.eng.umd.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/16/89)

In article <8909151942.AA20540@cscwam.UMD.EDU> rick@wam.UMD.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know whether or not MPW C 2.02 will work correctly under the MPW
>3.0 shell?  I will have to get 2.02 C and want to know if I will also have to
>get the 2.02 shell.  I already have MPW 3.0 (shell and C).

This, as they say, would not be good. The C calling conventions have changed
from 2.0 to 3.0. Trying to link your code with the CRuntime and CLibraries
would cause a colling convention conflict.

This may be the least of your problems. I haven't mixed things up like you want,
so I don't know if there are any other compatibility problems (like, does it
even compile without crashing...).

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

edgar@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gerald A Edgar) (09/17/89)

>In article <8909151942.AA20540@cscwam.UMD.EDU> rick@wam.UMD.EDU writes:
>>Does anyone know whether or not MPW C 2.02 will work correctly under the MPW
>>3.0 shell?  I will have to get 2.02 C and want to know if I will also have to
>>get the 2.02 shell.  I already have MPW 3.0 (shell and C).

I have done this (MPW C 2.02 in MPW Shell 3.0).  I did it because I did
not want to spend the extra money to upgrade C for the little use I put
it to.  Now remember, I am using the MPW C 2.02 includes and
libraries, too.  As I said, I don't use it much, so there could be
problems I haven't seen yet...
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics