[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW C Can't Find <types.h>

gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell) (09/18/89)

Hi, has anyone experienced this problem with MPW C 3.0?  I changed {COptions}
in my makefile from using "-i {laser}ifinclude:" (old includes directory) to
"-i {malaser}ifinclude:" (new experimental directory using MacApp).  Now
whenever I try to compile, I get this error:

# C - Fatal Error : 424
# couldn't open include file : types.h
# Directory not found (OS error -120)

The compiler cannot locate any file from the {CIncludes} directory.  But, when
I change {malaser} back to {laser}, everything works fine.  What gives?

BTW, I am using System 6.0.3 on a 5-meg Mac IIx, with the following (exported)
variable definitions:

Set laser HD:MPW:laser:
Set malaser HD:MPW:MacApp:projects:malaser:
Set CIncludes HD:MPW:Interfaces:CIncludes:

Eternal gratitude to anyone who can figure this out... I am at my wits' end!

---
Gary Carvell
gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (09/18/89)

In article <448@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell) writes:
>Hi, has anyone experienced this problem with MPW C 3.0?  I changed {COptions}
>in my makefile from using "-i {laser}ifinclude:" (old includes directory) to
>"-i {malaser}ifinclude:" (new experimental directory using MacApp).  Now
>whenever I try to compile, I get this error:
>
># C - Fatal Error : 424
># couldn't open include file : types.h
># Directory not found (OS error -120)

Somewhere in the directories specified in {COptions} one of the directories
is missing.  The C compiler looks at the directories in COptions and if any
one them are "bad" (read missing) then it chokes and goes to Club Med for the
winter...

I got bit by this before.  Hope this helps.

gww@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell,,2919895,2911367) (09/19/89)

From article <34818@apple.Apple.COM>, by han@Apple.COM (Byron Han):
> In article <448@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Gary Carvell) writes:
>> [I changed the makefile and now the C compiler can't find <types.h>]
>
> Somewhere in the directories specified in {COptions} one of the directories
> is missing.  The C compiler looks at the directories in COptions and if any
> one them are "bad" (read missing) then it chokes and goes to Club Med for the
> winter...
>
> I got bit by this before.  Hope this helps.

Yes!  That was it.  One of my shell variables (for the new directory) was
wrong.  (Actually, I noticed the bad variable definition just after I
posted, and changing it seemed to fix the problem, but I'm glad to know
it wasn't just me - my Mac has been acting strange lately...)  Thanks a
lot.

Gary
---
Gary Carvell
gww@g.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

nicky@cup.portal.com (nick john pilch) (09/19/89)

About MPW C not being able to find <types.h> (OS Err -120):

When I get this error message, it means that C wasn't able to find one
of the directories specified by the -i option.  Either the directory
does not exist or the pathname is wrong.  Try echoing back the pathname
in the shell (e.g., echo {pathnameShellVariable}) and see if it makes
sense.  A more appopriate error message would be nice.  I have seen a
number of people have this problem and be equally perplexed by it.

Nick Pilch
Mountain Lake Software
nicky@cup.portal.com
AppleLink: D1036