[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Write right to left

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (09/16/89)

I need a word processor that writes from Right to Left.
Is there any patches for Word / WriteNow to do that ?

Tnx,
BdRhrdj

wdh@well.UUCP (Bill Hofmann) (09/19/89)

In article <1989Sep16.154706.24009@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>I need a word processor that writes from Right to Left.
>Is there any patches for Word / WriteNow to do that ?
Depends on what system you want to use.  TeachText works just peachy
right-to-left on a right-to-left system like arabic or hebrew.
Microsoft makes at least an Arabic version of Word, but it isn't
available in the US, to my knowledge.  There's an Arabic word
processor called Al-Kaatib, available from Eastern Language Systems,
39 West 300 North, Provo Utah 84601 (801)377-4558 which runs under
standard Mac systems.  There are a couple of Hebrew word processors
as well, I don't have reference info for them.

-Bill Hofmann

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (09/19/89)

In article <13695@well.UUCP> wdh@well.UUCP (Bill Hofmann) writes:
>In article <1989Sep16.154706.24009@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
>rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>>I need a word processor that writes from Right to Left.
>>Is there any patches for Word / WriteNow to do that ?
>Depends on what system you want to use.  TeachText works just peachy
>right-to-left on a right-to-left system like arabic or hebrew.
>Microsoft makes at least an Arabic version of Word, but it isn't
>available in the US, to my knowledge.  There's an Arabic word
>processor called Al-Kaatib, available from Eastern Language Systems,
>39 West 300 North, Provo Utah 84601 (801)377-4558 which runs under
>standard Mac systems.  There are a couple of Hebrew word processors
>as well, I don't have reference info for them.

	The only 'Hebrew' word processor, per se, is Rav K'Tav which is
marketed by Davka Corporation out of Chicago (sorry, don't have full info here
but see back of MacWeek).
	What you REALLY want though is, as Bill suggests, the Arabic, Hebrew or
whatever Operating System from Apple and then a word processor that supports
Apple's Script Manager.  Unfortunately there are only two of them which are
being marketed in the U.S., neither is very good, but they do work.  The first
is called WinText, written by a French Company and marketed here in the U.S.
but some company in N.C.  The other is called All-Write and is the next
generation of Rav K'tav also marketed by Davka.  They are getting serious
about marketing  as they now have an add int he back of MacWeek for the
product.

P.S. Both products are VERY copy protected (can you say Laser Holed Key Disk?!)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025