[comp.sys.mac.programmer] UW sources. Where are they?

ggiergiel@vmsa.cf.uci.edu (09/16/89)

Would someone please tell me where I can get
complete UW sources/binaries. I want to install
them on our new SparcStation. Sumex has an incomplete version.
Jerzy Giergiel. UCI Physics.

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/16/89)

In article <2744@orion.cf.uci.edu> ggiergiel@vmsa.cf.uci.edu writes:
>Would someone please tell me where I can get
>complete UW sources/binaries. I want to install
>them on our new SparcStation. Sumex has an incomplete version.

Yes, please post this to the net if anyone knows!  I'd like to have the source
for uw.  It's a very nice program; it would be nicer if I could add Kermit
support to it...

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/16/89)

In <10447@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian) :
> In article <2744@orion.cf.uci.edu> ggiergiel@vmsa.cf.uci.edu writes:
> >Would someone please tell me where I can get complete UW sources/binaries.
>
> Yes, please post this to the net if anyone knows!

	they are available from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU as

		mac/communications/UW_4.2/uw_4.2_shar

rascal% cd ~ftp/mac/communications/UW_4.2
/usr2/ftp/mac/communications/UW_4.2
rascal% ll uw_4.2_shar
 152 -rw-r--r--  1 werner     145255 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_shar

	you can also get it from the authors site mordor.s1.gov
	or from simtel20.arpa where it is listed as:

"PD1:","<MACINTOSH.UNIX>","UW-TERM.SHAR",1,148511,7,851112,""

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (09/17/89)

In article <4364@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>> In article <2744@orion.cf.uci.edu> ggiergiel@vmsa.cf.uci.edu writes:
>> >Would someone please tell me where I can get complete UW sources/binaries.
>
>	they are available from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU as
>
>		mac/communications/UW_4.2/uw_4.2_shar

This shar archive includes the C sources for the Unix end of uw, but only the
binary code for the Macintosh end.  Is the Macintosh source for uw around
anywhere?

     << Brian >>
--

bruner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (09/19/89)

>>	they are available from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU as
>>		mac/communications/UW_4.2/uw_4.2_shar
>This shar archive includes the C sources for the Unix end of uw, but only the
>binary code for the Macintosh end.  Is the Macintosh source for uw around
>anywhere?

I've been basically off-net for about the past year, so a lot of UW
inquiries and mail have gone unanswered.

I don't think the UW distribution is still available on MORDOR.S1.GOV.
Anonymous FTP access was shut off there in the wake of bug fixes after
the Internet virus incident.

At present I (the author) don't even have an online copy of the UW
distribution.  I've just changed jobs, and although I'm in Illinois,
most of my files and hardware are still sitting in California.  RASCAL
is your best bet.

I never distributed the Macintosh source code for UW.  There was to be
one final, complete and wonderful distribution in which sources were to
be included; however, my job changed and I ran out of time.  I wanted
to clean up some of the horrible things which still reflect its origins
in (ugh) Megamax C before I'd let anyone else see it.
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu	(217) 244-4476
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu	(217) 244-4476

hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) (09/19/89)

Hi,

I went to RASCAL, and found that they only had version 2.10 of UW.
However, the simtel archive does have version 4.2, and it works great.

The Sumex archive also has it, but their binhex file is messed up and
gets a CRC error when you try to decode it.

Cheers,
Pete

hugo@sunapee.dartmouth.edu

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/20/89)

In <15704@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) writes:

> I went to RASCAL, and found that they only had version 2.10 of UW.

	I see your 2.10 and raise you 4.2 .... :-)
	gee, for a moment there, you had me in doubt:

rascal% pwd
/u/all/werner/ftp/mac/communications/UW_4.2
rascal% ll
total 235
   5 -rw-r--r--  1 werner       4555 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_README
  36 -rw-r--r--  1 werner      36096 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_bin
  40 -rw-r--r--  1 werner      40192 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_doc_bin
   2 -rw-r--r--  1 werner       1841 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_intro
 152 -rw-r--r--  1 werner     145255 Dec  4  1988 uw_4.2_shar

	oh, and RASCAL is singular, thus it's "he" not "they" (only had...;-)