[net.micro] Z-100s

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (09/08/83)

From:  Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>

To sum up Z-100 superiority over IBM-PC in less than 3 lines (I am
prepared for in detail techy specs, if the need arises):

Better color, better graphics, a real keyboard, S-100 bus, an 8085 for
8-bit software (CP/M-85) aside from the normal 8088.  All the serial,
parallel, video, and light pen ports built-in, more for the money.

There! 3 lines.  All I can say is compare the two for yourself.   Beware
that IBM-PC graphics is 640x200 in only 2 colors (on/off...black/white)
and color gets you only 40 char per line.  Z-100 is 640x225 in 8 colors
80 char per line, and it doesn't have different graphics modes.  Z-100
is always in high res, and characters are just so much graphics (character
matrix and keyboard codes completely redefinable).  Plus, Z-100 doesn't
have a non-changable BASIC ROM in the way all the time, and it is
file compatable.   Point to make: You really have to get down to the
functional specs to do an adequate comparison.  I could go on for
500 more lines, but I wanted to keep it under 3 (oops!)

Cheers,
   Gern
-------
-------

ctk@ecsvax.UUCP (09/16/83)

  Can you put an 8087 in a Z-100? My IBM PC can solve 50 linear equations in
50 unknowns in 24 secs. (Sage + APL) takes a minute and a half, Sage + P system
is even worse. I bought my pc a year and a half ago mainly to put an 8087 in
that empty socket. It was worth the wait.
                                   - I don't even own a word processor
                                           Tim Kelley