[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Tech Notes Stack 3.1 modified?

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (09/19/89)

Curiously, the Tech Notes stack on system apple.apple.com got modified on
September 14.  The version number is unchanged, and it doesn't appear to
contain any additional information, yet it's bigger.  Anybody know what's
going on?  (Can you spell "virus"?)

--Pete Poorman    Control Data Corporation  Houston, Texas
  pwp@shamash.cdc.com

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (09/19/89)

In article <14035@shamash.cdc.com> pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Pete Poorman) writes:
>Curiously, the Tech Notes stack on system apple.apple.com got modified on
>September 14.  The version number is unchanged, and it doesn't appear to
>contain any additional information, yet it's bigger.  Anybody know what's
>going on?  (Can you spell "virus"?)

Not to worry.  I replaced the version on the server because of a few
reports of people getting CRC errors when trying to decode the file.
We may have had a problem on the host to corrupt the file, so I replaced
it to be sure.  There are NO differences in the stacks, etc.

Only be worried about a problem if you see a new or changed file and don't
see it mentioned in dts/help/dir-files-recent.  If you see something
suspicious, just let me know at the address below.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/19/89)

In article <14035@shamash.cdc.com> pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Pete Poorman) writes:
>Curiously, the Tech Notes stack on system apple.apple.com got modified on
>September 14.  The version number is unchanged, and it doesn't appear to
>contain any additional information, yet it's bigger.  Anybody know what's
>going on?  (Can you spell "virus"?)

Maybe it has something to do with the dogcow.  Bigger?  And I was afraid
they'd taken it out.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu  <<-- I still have 3.0, so I haven't found TN31...

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/20/89)

In article <14035@shamash.cdc.com> pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Pete Poorman) writes:
>Curiously, the Tech Notes stack on system apple.apple.com got modified on
>September 14.  The version number is unchanged, and it doesn't appear to
>contain any additional information, yet it's bigger.  Anybody know what's
>going on?  (Can you spell "virus"?)

[And in another article Mark Johnson of MacDTS said that he replaced
it with a new copy which is identical--people had been getting CRC
errors and he wanted to be sure.]

I know that the first copy of the Tech Notes stack I saw came from the
Boston Computer Society's Macintosh board and the second version I saw
came from the Phil and Dave CD.  They both were version 3.1 (a number
DTS wanted it to have, see related thread on Dogcows), but they were
*not* the same stack.  I didn't break into the BCS*Mac version very
deeply, but remember it didn't !fooM the same way as the Phil and Dave
version does.  (I think it just Moof!ed twice at that point.)

Did someone behind the BCS*Mac board change it?  I doubt it...  Apple,
are you being honest with your numberings??

--
Kent Borg				"You know me, bright ideas
kent@lloyd.uucp				 just pop into my head!"

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (09/21/89)

In article <506@sunfs3.camex.uucp> kent@sunfs3.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:

>Did someone behind the BCS*Mac board change it?  I doubt it...  Apple,
>are you being honest with your numberings??

As honest as we can be.  The "official" version of the stack was on
the CD and also sent to developers in the June monthly mailing.  This
same stack was posted on AppleLink and made available for FTP.  We have
not released any other versions under 3.1, and if there are others out
there that are NOT the same, I would be interested in finding out what
is different and where they are coming from.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/22/89)

/* Written 12:58 pm  Sep 20, 1989 by d88-jwa@nada.kth.se in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.programmer */
In article <2569@pur-phy> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
.. Tech Notes stack gets bigger ..
>>Maybe it has something to do with the dogcow.  Bigger?  And I was afraid
>>they'd taken it out.
>
>Someone from Apple just hinted that there's more... "You'll never know
>what you might find" is just the kind of vague statement you'll expect
>from Apple when something's afoot.

Are implying that Apple knows :->

Michael Rutman

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/29/89)

In article <34919@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <506@sunfs3.camex.uucp> kent@sunfs3.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>>Did someone behind the BCS*Mac board change it?  I doubt it...  Apple,
>>are you being honest with your numberings??
>
>As honest as we can be.  The "official" version of the stack was on
>the CD and also sent to developers in the June monthly mailing.  This

I apologize.  Neither Apple nor BCS*Mac have been cheating or messing
with the numberings.  The version of the tech notes stack that I got
off of the Boston Computer Society's Mac board was version 3.0, not
3.1.  So it makes sense that they were different.  Sorry for any
reputation besmertching--or how ever you spell it.

--
Kent Borg			"This and being born are the 2 damndest
kent@lloyd.uucp			 things that ever happened to me."