[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Hard Drives

athos@apple.com (Rick Eames) (09/30/89)

A Hardware question:  Has anyone had experience with Removable Hard Disks
like the one Mass Micro puts out?  There are others on the market, and I
am wondering if anyone has used any of them.

Rick Eames

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (09/30/89)

In article <4469@internal.Apple.COM>, athos@apple.com (Rick Eames) writes...
|A Hardware question:  Has anyone had experience with Removable Hard Disks
|like the one Mass Micro puts out?  There are others on the market, and I
|am wondering if anyone has used any of them.

No less an authority than the venerable BMUGers recommend the PLI
drives with the Syquest 45mb removeable media. Check out a recent
issue of the BMUG newsletter/tome

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (09/30/89)

In article <2490@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>In article <4469@internal.Apple.COM>, athos@apple.com (Rick Eames) writes...
>|A Hardware question:  Has anyone had experience with Removable Hard Disks
>|like the one Mass Micro puts out?  There are others on the market, and I
>|am wondering if anyone has used any of them.
>
>No less an authority than the venerable BMUGers recommend the PLI
>drives with the Syquest 45mb removeable media. Check out a recent
>issue of the BMUG newsletter/tome

Actually, the latest recommendation for Syquest drives are for the
ones that DPI (in Milpitas, CA) sells.  Apparently, they are among
the best in terms of keeping the drive mechanism cool (some drives
get so hot you could at least coddle and perhaps fry an egg on them).
In our experience, hot drives tend to develop more media problems
over time.

PLI reportedly has recently reengineered their drives to provide
better cooling (by moving the fan and changing the mounting hardware).
As far as I know, we haven't seen one of their new drives yet, so
we can't comment on how effective the modification is.  People with
other questions should send email to steve.costa@bmug.fidonet.org;
he'll have the latest info.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |