[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is there a newer version of Inside Mac DA?

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (09/25/89)

I've been using the Inside Mac DA some, and it sure is a handy utility, but
since it only deals with Inside Macintosh vol. 1-4 I'd like to know if:
1) there is a newer version including vol. 5 and more, or
2) there is some way (with aid of another program) to add to the index-file and
text-file so I could include my own stuff. (A version with C-interfaces would
be great.)

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (09/26/89)

In article <1771@tekno.chalmers.se> d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) writes:
>I've been using the Inside Mac DA some, and it sure is a handy utility, but
>since it only deals with Inside Macintosh vol. 1-4 I'd like to know if:
>1) there is a newer version including vol. 5 and more, or
>2) there is some way (with aid of another program) to add to the index-file and
>text-file so I could include my own stuff. (A version with C-interfaces would
>be great.)

Do you really have one with volumes I-IV?  The ones I've seen only have I-III
and were based on the phone book version.

This may sound unbelievable but I actually sat down and edited the entire
contents of mine to confirm to the released versions of I-III and added the
entire volume IV.  You can simply add to the text with Word or some other
program that can handle huge text files and reindex with the indexer that comes
with the DA.  I use the DA all the time and rarely have to look in the real
IM anymore.

I am currently considering writing my own Inside Mac DA to fix some bugs in
the current version and add stuff like a C copy command.  What kind of interest
would there be in this?  This would eat up my time and I don't think shareware
would cut it.  I sent the double the shareware fee to the original author with
a request for information about the source and possible bug fixes.  However,
he just sucked up my money without even replying.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

leipold@eplrx7.UUCP (leipold) (09/27/89)

I don't know about the Inside Mac DA, but I've been using the "Programmer's
Online Companion" for about 18 months.  It's great!  *And* it covers Inside
Macintosh vols I-V _plus_ the Numerics manual...

--
"As long as you've lit one candle,                         Walt Leipold
you're allowed to curse the darkness."       (leipolw%esvax@dupont.com)

Andrew.Johnston@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Andrew Johnston) (10/04/89)

Yes there is a new version 2.0 of the inside Mac DA that has all five
volumes (plus a few extra things) of Inside Mac.  It is also editable so
that you can add or edit your own information.  In addition it has a
smart copy feature that allows you to copy the function calls in either
Pascal or C syntax.  Bernard Gallett also cleaned up a few bugs and
things.  He has apparently moved which is why some people on UseNet are
finding it hard to locate him.  There is a demo version of the new 2.0 on
Compuserve. I believe his new address is
Bernard Gallet
Inside Mac DA 2.0
660 Miller Ave.
Cupertino, CA  95014
I'm not sure, but I think at last glance the shareware fee was $20.  In
addtion to the inside Mac DA 2.0 he also sends you Quick GetFile INIT
which allows you to customize the standard getfile dialog to include
frequent folders and directories that you use.  It was one of the best
$20 that I have ever spent. Personally I like it much better than Online
Companion.
Andrew Johnston

--
Andrew Johnston via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31!Andrew.Johnston

Andrew.Johnston@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Andrew Johnston) (10/04/89)

I forgot to tell you how to contact me via UseNet.  My address is
either: 71101.556@compuserve.com or you can try
AJohnston@Applelink.apple.com

Andrew Johnston
71101.556@compuserve.com