[comp.sys.mac.programmer] C++ options - help!

jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) (10/08/89)

I need info on using C++ on the Mac.  I have (and am dissapointed in) the new
SYMANTEC THINK C with Object Extensions, and am aware of the new C++ which
will run under (on?) MPW.

Are there any real alternatives to the above? THINK is not really a viable
alternative - too small a subset.  MPW is rather pricey (I have none of the
MPW stuff now - so would need the entire suite) but appears to be a true -
full C++.

Please e-mail - I will gladly post a summary (or re-email) if there is
interest.

Thank you.

John Pantone
--
John M. Pantone	     jmp@asihub.uucp       {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!jmp
Objectech Corporation, P.O.Box 27168, San Diego CA, 92128 (619)679-8646

All opinions are my own as this is a guest account.

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (10/10/89)

In article <137@asihub.UUCP> jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
> I need info on using C++ on the Mac.  I have (and am dissapointed in)
the new
> SYMANTEC THINK C with Object Extensions, and am aware of the new C++
which
> will run under (on?) MPW.
>
> Are there any real alternatives to the above? THINK is not really a
viable
> alternative - too small a subset.  MPW is rather pricey (I have none of
the
> MPW stuff now - so would need the entire suite) but appears to be a true
-
> full C++.

I'm curious--why the perception that "MPW is rather pricey," if you
haven't used the MPW environment?  The reality is that MPW is
price-competitive with environments such as Microsoft C 5.x for the IBM
world, and I believe includes a great deal more.  The MPW shell is a
programmable, customizable development environment including integrated
editing/scripting and many of the most popular UNIX programming utilities,
albeit with friendlier names and interfaces.  There are many third-party
compilers, scripts, etc. for MPW to make it even more useful, and we at
Apple keep trying to do things to make it nicer, too (if you're an Apple
Partner with a CD-ROM player, you should be able to check out "Phil and
Dave's Excellent CD" that we sent you and find LOTS of MPW Goodies to play
with).

To use C++, you wouldn't need "the entire suite."  You would need the Shell, the C compiler, and the C++ pre-processor.  Realistically, though, I think you'd probably WANT the whole suite (Pascal, Assembler, and so on) as well; you should really use MacApp to develop applications for the Macintosh, too.  The good news is that you can now do that in C++ instead of Object Pascal, if you're so inclined.

Speaking of our C++, it is indeed based on AT&T's 2.0 final, and we've added
some extensions to make it marry with Object Pascal and MacApp better.
Our beta 1 release is now at APDA.

Enjoy!

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/10/89)

In article <4605@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>In article <137@asihub.UUCP> jmp@asihub.UUCP (John Pantone) writes:
>> I need info on using C++ on the Mac.  ...
>I'm curious--why the perception that "MPW is rather pricey," if you
>haven't used the MPW environment?

Well, it isn't too cheap, but it isn't too expensive, either.  Kind of
middle of the road if you haven't already got MPW.  Here's what the
sticker for the "full-blown" MPW C++ development system looks like:

	MPW C Bundle v. 3.0					$400.00
		-includes development environment, C compiler,
		 assembler, debugger (SADE), MacsBug and
		 ResEdit

	MPW C++							$175.00

	MacApp v. 2.0Bx (x = {5, 9})				$100.00
	MacApp 2.x Interim Manual				$ 25.00
	MacApp Source Listings					$ 75.00

								-------

	C++ alone (requires MPW C)				$575.00
		-you could get this for less by purchasing
		 only C++ (i.e., cfront), the C compiler,
		 and MPW; that would be $425.00

	C++ w/ MacApp						$775.00

I'm not disappointed with the price of cfront; however, no one was able
to tell me what the upgrade policy would be except that there would be
no "auto-upgrades" (as there are for some medium-sized beta releases, like
the Communications Toolbox).  I would imagine that there will be a roughly
40% upgrade fee, for both the next beta release (if there is one) and the
final release -- along the lines of the current scheme for MacApp.  I'd
like to hear from someone in the know from Apple about this; the folks
at APDA were pretty much in the dark yesterday.

By the way, they are taking orders now, and shipping next week.

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.