[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re^2: C++ options - help!

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (10/10/89)

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:

>I'm curious--why the perception that "MPW is rather pricey," if you
>haven't used the MPW environment?  The reality is that MPW is
>price-competitive with environments such as Microsoft C 5.x for the IBM
>world, and I believe includes a great deal more.

Well, I *have* used MPW, and I *still* think that it is rather pricey,
especially for mpw C++.  I just called APDA -- In three weeks, I can
get MPW C++ for $175.  What? you don't already have MPW C 3.0?  They
will be happy to sell it to me for only $400!! Your APDA membership
number please?  What? you're not a member or APDA yet? -- $20.  Add
Shipping ($35).  The total is.......$630.00 (plus applicable state and
local sales tax).

Forgive me, I think that $600+ is EXPENSIVE for a version 1 C++ to C
translator, a version 1 C compiler (*without lint*), a version 1
source code debugger, an assembler (the C compiler can't deal with
inline assembly (at least in version 2)), and a command line interface.
Especially when I am buying this from the company that manufactures
the computer that it is for, and that any programs that I write helps
APPLE to sell computers.

If you want the compiler *supported* then you have to blow *another*
$600 and *Maybe* Apple will *Allow* you to have e-mail access to
someone who will support the product.

[yes, I *AM* shelling out the $630... but I can't wait until motif and
ANDF and OSF/1 are all available... and Apple suddenly realizes that
it has competition!]

+C: broke, again.
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (10/12/89)

In article <396@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf)
writes:
> If you want the compiler *supported* then you have to blow *another*
> $600 and *Maybe* Apple will *Allow* you to have e-mail access to
> someone who will support the product.

Being in this particular support bunch, I can guarantee you that we won't
*MAYBE* allow you to ask questions; being an Apple Partner *GUARANTEES*
you access to MacDTS.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.