[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is anyone making CLIM for Allegro CL?

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) (10/12/89)

Perhaps some of you have heard of the current movement toward creating
a standardized User Interface programming environment for Lisp called
Common Lisp Interface Manager?  Symbolics plans on releasing their
version in March of 1990.  Xerox, Symbolics, and others are working
together on the specifications and are making rapid progress on it.

Is anyone working on an implementation of CLIM for Allegro Common Lisp
for the Mac?  If so, please let us know and give us some thoughts on
it.

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (10/12/89)

In article <12634@boulder.Colorado.EDU> bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) writes:
>Perhaps some of you have heard of the current movement toward creating
>a standardized User Interface programming environment for Lisp called
>Common Lisp Interface Manager?  Symbolics plans on releasing their
>version in March of 1990.  Xerox, Symbolics, and others are working
>together on the specifications and are making rapid progress on it.
>
>Is anyone working on an implementation of CLIM for Allegro Common Lisp
>for the Mac?  If so, please let us know and give us some thoughts on
>it.

I don't know, but I'll bet whatever is done will include emacs-type
editing commands, just as Allegro Common Lisp for the Mac now has. I
for one am less than pleased about this, because you are denied access
to the special characters available in most Mac fonts (which you get
with the option key, codes above 128).  Very naturally, option is used
for the meta key, but it presents this un-Mac-ish difficulty.  Anybody
have a solution?

John Doner	doner@henri.ucsb.edu

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/12/89)

In article <2481@hub.UUCP> doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) writes:

   >Is anyone working on an implementation of CLIM for Allegro Common Lisp
   >for the Mac?  If so, please let us know and give us some thoughts on
   >it.

   I don't know, but I'll bet whatever is done will include emacs-type
   editing commands, just as Allegro Common Lisp for the Mac now has.

CLIM is a window system, not an editor or programming environment.

   for one am less than pleased about this, because you are denied access
   to the special characters available in most Mac fonts (which you get
   with the option key, codes above 128).  Very naturally, option is used
   for the meta key, but it presents this un-Mac-ish difficulty.  Anybody
   have a solution?

You can access the option-key characters by typing control-q followed
by the desired key.  control-q 'quotes' the next character, and inserts
it.  You can use this to insert control characters, option characters,
or any other character with a defined meaning.

If typing control-q is too cumbersome, you can simply change *COMTAB*
(the editor command table) so that all the :meta entries simply insert
the character, rather than running another command.  For example,
to make this true of option-t

  (comtab-set-key *comtab* '(:meta #\t) 'ed-self-insert)

Do this for each character you want to type easily, and then do
it again for the *listener-comtab*.  You can put the code in
your init file.

   -andrew