[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Appletalk Confirm

mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) (10/11/89)

Does anyone know if a NBPConfirm in Appletalk generates network
traffic and in which cases?  For instance, i assume it would have to
talk to a bridge to get to another zone, but what about confirming someone
on my own zone?  If they are on my zone will the names table in my machine
be able to confirm them without causing network traffic?

Michael O'Rourke

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (10/11/89)

In article <6724@hubcap.clemson.edu> mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
>Does anyone know if a NBPConfirm in Appletalk generates network
>traffic and in which cases?  For instance, i assume it would have to
>talk to a bridge to get to another zone, but what about confirming someone
>on my own zone?  If they are on my zone will the names table in my machine
>be able to confirm them without causing network traffic?

The names table in your machine is ONLY a list of the names registered by
your machine. To do a confirm NBP does exactly the same thing as a lookup
except that instead of doing a zone wide broadcast it directs the request
packet(s) to the NBP socket on the machine that had registered the name.
If the remote node is on another cable it these packets will go through the
bridge etc etc

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: D3213
"Free Market": n. (colloq.) a primitive fertility goddess worshipped by an

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (10/12/89)

O'Rourke) writes:
> Does anyone know if a NBPConfirm in Appletalk generates network
> traffic and in which cases?  For instance, i assume it would have to
> talk to a bridge to get to another zone, but what about confirming
someone
> on my own zone?  If they are on my zone will the names table in my
machine
> be able to confirm them without causing network traffic?

NBPConfirm sends a directed message (not a broadcast) to the address
you're trying to confirm. That machine returns a message confirming,
correcting (if the node is correct but the socket wrong), or denying the
match. Unless the address you're confirming is in your own machine
(unlikely but not impossible), there will be network traffic: the names
table in your machine lists only the entities in your machine.

NBP uses DDP to send its messages. DDP is "best effort", meaning that
delivery is not guaranteed. If no response is received in time, NBP will
re-send the confirmation request, hoping to finally "get through". NBP's
patience between sends and the number of retries before giving up are
specified by the caller. Note that in most cases, the match will be
correct and the request will be quickly answered, so the network traffic
will be minimal: one message, one response. But if the address is
thoroughly bad (say, the target machine is turned off or disconnected) or
if there's a lot of traffic or noise delaying or garbling transmission,
then there'll be repeated attempts.

See "Inside AppleTalk", Chapter 7, "Name Binding Protocol", for a full
discussion.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

Hueras@cup.portal.com (Jon F Hueras) (10/12/89)

NBPConfirm will always generate net traffic, unless the address being
confirmed is on the same machine. What NBPConfirm will *not* do is generate
any broadcast packets; the Lookup packets will always be directed to the
address being confirmed.