[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Small Talk from DigiTalk

Adam.Stein@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Stein) (10/05/89)

Anyone use Small Talk from DigiTalk for the Mac. I have never used a Small
Talk system before but am interested and don't know anything about the
different Small Talks.Does it compile or is it interpreted. How does it
compare to SuperCard or Object Pascal?
Thanks,
Adam Stein
I am writing this from the NJMUG BBS and don't have a network address so I
don't know how you can respond but if you can't get me here without an
address just post the message to this forum. Or e-mail me on CONNECT at
AdamStein without the space.
Thanks,
Adam Stein

--
Adam Stein via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!347!Adam.Stein

dg@sisyphus.sybase.com (David Gould) (10/08/89)

In article <24996.252C4CA5@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Stein@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Stein) writes:
>Anyone use Small Talk from DigiTalk for the Mac. I have never used a Small
>Talk system before but am interested and don't know anything about the
>different Small Talks.Does it compile or is it interpreted. How does it
>compare to SuperCard or Object Pascal?
>Thanks,
>Adam Stein

I have had Smalltalk/V on my mac for about 9 months, and I still think it is
the best program I ever bought.  All commercial smalltalks compile down to
bytecodes which are then interpreted.  Assuming SuperCard is like HyperCard,
Smalltalk is very different.  It doesn't do as much of the work for you, but
it doesn't get in your way like they do.  For example, in smalltalk, you can
create your own new kinds of objects (classes), so you aren't just stuck with
buttons and cards and such.  It is also a much cleaner language syntactically.
Object Pascal, and the various object C's are hybrid languages which have some
but not all the benefits and costs of being object oriented.  As with all half
measures, they are not as nice as the real thing.
				try it, you'll like it,
				dg

------  All opinions are mine and may or may not represent Sybase Inc.  ------
David Gould       dg@sybase.com        {sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!dg
                  (415) 596-3414      6475 Christie Ave.  Emeryville, CA 94608

barry@wolman1.prime.com (10/09/89)

Digitalk has just announced a version of Smalltalk/V for Presentation
Manager on the PS/2 that features compiled code.  They claim about a
4x-5x speedup.  According to the spokesperson from Digitalk I talked to
at OOPSLA, they are "considering" a compiled version for the Mac,
probably in conjunction with the changes they have to make for Version 7
of the Mac OS.

Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/09/89)

In article <6486@sybase.sybase.com> dg@sisyphus.UUCP (David Gould) writes:
>I have had Smalltalk/V on my mac for about 9 months, and I still think it is
>the best program I ever bought.  All commercial smalltalks compile down to
>bytecodes which are then interpreted.

Not true.  Objectworks for Smalltalk-80 (the fullblown implementation from
ParcPlace) compiles methods down to MACHINE CODE when they are used;
recently-compiled methods remain cached in memory.  This removes a lot of
the interpreter overhead, but, of course, doesn't make message-passing
faster in its own right ...

Objectworks is also available for the Mac, at an educational price of $150,
and provides greater functionality and portability than Smalltalk/V, although
you will need a heavy-duty Mac to run it at a reasonable speed -- unless,
of course, you've been using MPW C on a Mac Plus or something and have
no sense of the passage of time.

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.

Adam.Stein@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Stein) (10/13/89)

I have a 5 -meg Mac 2 so speed should not be a major problem. What
qualifications do you have to have to get the educational discount?
Adam Stein
I am AdamStein on CONNECT
I am user #71140,2051 on Compuserve.
I read this message section so I will get all messages posted.
Thanks,
Adam Stein

--
Adam Stein via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!347!Adam.Stein
INET: Adam.Stein@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Adam.Stein@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Stein) (10/13/89)

How do you distribute applications if it is not compiled?
Thanks for the reply,
Adam Stein
AdamStein on CONNECT
71140,2051 on Compuserve