[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Re^4: C++ options - help!

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (10/12/89)

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:

>In article <396@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf)
>writes:
>> If you want the compiler *supported* then you have to blow *another*
>> $600 and *Maybe* Apple will *Allow* you to have e-mail access to
>> someone who will support the product.

>Being in this particular support bunch, I can guarantee you that we won't
>*MAYBE* allow you to ask questions; being an Apple Partner *GUARANTEES*
>you access to MacDTS.

Having worked with MacDTS before, I will agree.  Once you are a
partner, yes, MacDTS (usually) does a good job of answering
questions.  The "*Maybe*" was about the application process.
According to the information that Apple sent me, in order to become a
partner, I must first send them literature on an existing product
(since I am the founder of a start-up, we don't *HAVE* any existing
products), or I can send them my business plan (a *VERY* long
document that is *VERY* confidential and unfinished) and *Maybe* (yes,
this is the "*Maybe*" that I was refering to) Apple will approve the
application.  It first requires the $600 of front money (which we
don't have as yet... we are self financed -- ie no venture capital.
Every dollar spent comes out of the founder's pockets) for the
*APPLICATION*.

I think my "*Maybe*" is justified.
+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (10/13/89)

In article <402@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf)
writes:
> The "*Maybe*" was about the application process.
> According to the information that Apple sent me, in order to become a
> partner, I must first send them literature on an existing product
> (since I am the founder of a start-up, we don't *HAVE* any existing
> products), or I can send them my business plan (a *VERY* long
> document that is *VERY* confidential and unfinished) and *Maybe* (yes,
> this is the "*Maybe*" that I was refering to) Apple will approve the
> application.  It first requires the $600 of front money (which we
> don't have as yet... we are self financed -- ie no venture capital.
> Every dollar spent comes out of the founder's pockets) for the
> *APPLICATION*.
>
> I think my "*Maybe*" is justified.
> +C
> --
> Cory Kempf              Technology Concepts          phone: (508)
443-7311 x341
> uucp:   {anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com
> DISCLAIMER: TCI is not responsible for my opinions, nor I for theirs

Ok, I'll buy that, but that isn't how your original post sounded.

As for your business plan being lengthy and extremely confidential, you
can relax; Apple has a great deal of experience in dealing with lengthy
and extremely confidential documents. ;-)

Your primary point, I think--that to get MPW support you have to go
through the iffy process of becoming an Apple Partner--is dead on, but I
don't see that as NOT fitting our target market for MPW (professional
developers who have a product or a business plan and can therefore rest
reasonably assured that they'll become "Partnerized.")

Let's also not forget that some of us (like Keith Rollin, Andrew Shebanow,
and myself) do our level best to answer questions on many forums--like
here, for example.

So if you have questions, ASK!  That's what comp.sys.mac.programmer is for.

And it's not like all MPW wisdom resides in Cupertino, either.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.

enwall@Apple.COM (Tim Enwall) (10/13/89)

In article <402@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) writes:
>According to the information that Apple sent me, in order to become a
>partner, ...  or I can send them my business plan (a *VERY* long
>document that is *VERY* confidential and unfinished) and *Maybe* (yes,
>this is the "*Maybe*" that I was refering to) Apple will approve the
>application.

In all my discussions with the folks who approve the applications, they ALWAYS
insist that they DO NOT want your VERY long business plan.  MERELY, they
want to see that you have a business in mind, and if you provide a brief
synopsis gleaned from your business plan.  They don't expect you to divulge
all your confidential information, they're simply trying to avoid people
becoming partners who just want an equipment discount and nothing else.

At least that's how I see it from my humble existance.

--
Tim Enwall
Macintosh Developer Technical Support

"Opinion's but a fool, that makes us scan
 The outward habit by the inward man"    -- Pericles, Act II. Sc.2