[comp.sys.mac.programmer] I gotta stop reading MacTutor

ephraim@Think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (10/12/89)

I was leafing through the October MacTutor last night, and was
amazed once more at the technical depths to which (some of)
their writers sink.  In an article on writing INITs, J. Peter
Hoddie cites TN212's warning against tail patches, then goes
on to say:

	Unfortunately, any trap patch[es] written using the C
	function technique described here are effectively
	tail patches.  However, I have yet to find a case
	where this actually causes a problem.  Furthermore,
	in many cases it is actually impossible to obtain the
	desired result without writing a tail patch.  It seems
	unlikely that Apple will declare war on tail patches
	in future Systems, as there are already tons of tail
	patches out there.  However, it is possible that this
	could cause problems in some rare instances.  Unfortunately,
	the alternative is to write lots more assembly code,
	and that isn't a terribly appealing option.

In other words, it's OK to break the rules if you're lazy and don't
care much.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142
        One of the flaws in the anarchic bopper society was

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/13/89)

In article <30951@news.Think.COM> ephraim@Think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
>I was leafing through the October MacTutor last night, and was
>amazed once more at the technical depths to which (some of)
>their writers sink.

One way to improve the quality of articles in MacTutor is for people
who know what they are doing to submit high quality articles
themselves.  Anyone can submit an article to MacTutor.  Just call up
the number in the back of the magazine and ask them how to do it.  If
they can use your article, you get your name in print and a free copy
of the magazine with a check for a few hundred dollars stuck in it.
If you don't need the money, look at as a public service.

You can reduce the number of bad articles by submitting good articles
yourself.

Earle R. Horton

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Morton) (10/13/89)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>Anyone can submit an article to MacTutor.

Not only can anyone submit an article to MacTutor, but anyone can get
one printed ;-).

Seriously, Dave Smith told me a while back that in four years of
operation, he had rejected only one article, and he believed that
he would eventually publish everything else, although some of it would
take a long time.

MacTutor needs a technical review board, perhaps?  Given that many
articles languish for months before being printed, there seems to be
plenty of time for such a process.  And while they're at it, they
might want to start using a spelling checker or even using a human
proofreader.

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11378, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/13/89)

In article <5097@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> mikem@uhccux.UUCP
	(Mike Morton) writes:
>earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>>Anyone can submit an article to MacTutor.
>Seriously, Dave Smith told me a while back that in four years of
>operation, he had rejected only one article, and he believed that
>he would eventually publish everything else, although some of it would
>take a long time.
>
>MacTutor needs a technical review board, perhaps?  Given that many
>articles languish for months before being printed, there seems to be
>plenty of time for such a process.  And while they're at it, they
>might want to start using a spelling checker or even using a human
>proofreader.

This is all true, I am sure.  My point is that one way to get this
sort of thing started is for people who are really good to submit more
articles and source code.  It does not make sense to have a rigorous
technical review board unless you have a glut of articles, and are
forced to reject some because of over-supply.

Anyone who is in a position to complain about the quality of articles
in MacTutor is probably both (a) benefiting from the magazine in some
way, and (b) good enough to write an article which is better than the
object of the complaint.  If you make your living programming the
Macintosh, and consider what you do to be meaningful in any kind of
larger social context, then consider it your duty to support MacTutor
with good articles.

It is probably going against some law of economics to try to drive out
bad merchandise by diluting it with good, but it is certainly worth a
try.

Earle R. Horton

erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) (10/14/89)

In article <5097@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> mikem@uhccux.UUCP (Mike Morton) writes:
>Not only can anyone submit an article to MacTutor, but anyone can get
>one printed ;-).
>
>Seriously, Dave Smith told me a while back that in four years of
>operation, he had rejected only one article, and he believed that
>he would eventually publish everything else, although some of it would
>take a long time.
>
>Given that many articles languish for months before being printed...

Not meaning to discourage anyone from writing articles for MacTutor, but my
experience is... I sent an article to MacTutor in Dec. 1987. I called them
in August 1988 and again in the spring of 1989 to check on its status. They
said they would look for a slot to fit it in. It still hasn't been published.

I'm still hoping... but I'm not going take time writing any more articles in
the near future.

Eric Schlegel
eric.schlegel@dartmouth.edu

omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) (10/14/89)

MacTutor should get its editorial act together, frankly.  The previous
poster's situation is quite common, I believe. (i.e. submitting an article
getting a response that indicates subsequent publication, then having
the article languish in some editorial queue for *literally* years.)

If they don't want it, they should refuse it.  If they do want it, they
should buy it - when they accept it.  This business about "every article
will be published in time" sounds an awful lot like the six chimps who
will ultimately type out Shakespeare.  Pure crap.

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."