[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is IIci 32-bit clean?

cohen@santa_fe.Tops.Sun.COM (10/13/89)

I think I read somewhere that the ROMs in the new IIci are 32-bit clean.  Does
anyone out there know if this is true?

Just curious...

Michael Cohen
cohen@santa_fe.ebay.sun.com

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (10/13/89)

Yes, the ROMs on the IIci are 32 Bit Clean. However, until
System 7.0 comes out, the IIci will still run in 32 bit mode,
which means (among other things) that the Macintosh OS will
only recognize 8 Megs of motherboard RAM, and that existing,
non 32 Bit Clean applications are safe (for the moment).

Andrew Shebanow
Psychic To The Stars
Macintosh Developer Technical Support
Apple Computer, Inc.

carl@Apple.COM (Carl C. Hewitt) (10/13/89)

In article <4719@internal.Apple.COM> shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) writes:
>Yes, the ROMs on the IIci are 32 Bit Clean. However, until
>System 7.0 comes out, the IIci will still run in 32 bit mode,
                                                  ^^ 24-bit mode
>which means (among other things) that the Macintosh OS will
>only recognize 8 Megs of motherboard RAM, and that existing,
>non 32 Bit Clean applications are safe (for the moment).

The IIci is 32-bit clean, as Andrew said, but will run in 24-bit mode
until 7.0 is released.  You will then be able to select which mode you
want to run in.  The above was just a typo, but I didn't want people
who didn't notice it getting confused.

-- Carl

|   internet:   carl@apple.com       |  Apple Computer, Mac CPU ROM group     |
|   applelink:	carl                 |  uucp:   {sun,decwrl}!apple!carl       |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) (10/13/89)

System 7.0 comes out, the IIci will still run in 32 bit mode,
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't you mean 24-bit mode?

Jeff ;-)

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/15/89)

In article <4719@internal.Apple.COM> shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) writes:
>Yes, the ROMs on the IIci are 32 Bit Clean. However, until
>System 7.0 comes out, the IIci will still run in 32 bit mode,
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^

 Ah, so that's why everything's crashing :-^  (you meant 24 bit mode, I HOPE)

 Is a fixed version of Macsbug likely to come along anytime soon? The
current versions seem to be completely broken on the IIci...

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (10/17/89)

Yes, I did mean that it currently runs in 24 bit mode. My apologies
to those who got confused, and my thanks to the (many) people who
pointed it out to me.

A version of MacsBug that works on the IIci is in progress. Unfortunately,
the fix is tied into a MacsBug release that has lots of new features
in it (not just machine compatibility fixes), so it won't be out for
a while (I don't know exactly how long). Until then, all I can
recommend is that you try TMON or Jasik's Debugger. Oh well...

Andy Shebanow
MacDTS
Apple Computer