[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Allegro Common Lisp?

rcbamhl@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (m.heijligers) (10/16/89)

I like to know whether Apple distributes a student version of Allegro Common
Lisp. I know that Coral sold Pearl Lisp for this purpose, but Apple does
not. What are the prices, and how can I buy it (in Europe) ?

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/17/89)

In article <970@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcbamhl@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (m.heijligers) writes:

   I like to know whether Apple distributes a student version of Allegro Common
   Lisp. I know that Coral sold Pearl Lisp for this purpose, but Apple does
   not. What are the prices, and how can I buy it (in Europe) ?

Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp is available through APDA.  I'm not
sure how they distribute in Europe.  Anyone else know? (If not, I
can track it down.)

Pearl Lisp isn't being sold anymore.  While APDA doesn't offer student
discounts (at least, I'm pretty sure they don't), I believe there may
be site-licenses available, if you can convince your school that
a cheap site-licensed Common Lisp is a good thing.

  cheers.

      -andrew

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (10/17/89)

In article <ALMS.89Oct16140453@brazil.cambridge.apple.com>
alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:
> In article <970@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcbamhl@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl
(m.heijligers) writes:

>    I like to know whether Apple distributes a student version of Allegro
Common
>    Lisp. I know that Coral sold Pearl Lisp for this purpose, but Apple
does
>    not. What are the prices, and how can I buy it (in Europe) ?
>
> Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp is available through APDA.  I'm not
> sure how they distribute in Europe.  Anyone else know? (If not, I
> can track it down.)
>
> Pearl Lisp isn't being sold anymore.  While APDA doesn't offer student
> discounts (at least, I'm pretty sure they don't), I believe there may
> be site-licenses available, if you can convince your school that
> a cheap site-licensed Common Lisp is a good thing.
>
>   cheers.
>
>       -andrew

Also, for those of you with access to Phil & Dave's Excellent CD, Pearl
Lisp can be found in the "Goodies" folder.  It has a few minor problems,
though:

1) Copy the folder to some read/write medium.
2) Open the file "Pearl" with ResEdit.
3) Find the "FASL" FREF resource and change it to "PFSL".
4) Edit the BNDL resource and change the owner from "CCL " to "PERL".
5) Delete the entire "CCL " resource type, if it exists.

Save all of these changes and rebuild your desktop.  Pearl and the
associated .Lisp and .Fasl files should magically regain their icons and
work properly.

Pearl is really nice; about the only thing I wish it had that it doesn't
is a fully Steele-conformant defstruct and friends.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.