[comp.sys.mac.programmer] 4th Dimension V2.0 bugs in US as well?

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (10/13/89)

Here in OZ we suffer from US paranoia and are given a COPY-PROTECTED version
of 4th Dimension.

We have just upgraded to 4D version 2.0 and (my boss reports) are having heaps
of problems with bugs all over the place, not to mention a totally
frustrating copy-protection scheme.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the state of bugs in the US version?  The copy
protection is so intrusive we suspect it has a lot to do with the bugs.

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David L. Williams) (10/17/89)

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, writes:
>Here in OZ we suffer from US paranoia and are given a COPY-PROTECTED version
>of 4th Dimension.

Its copy protected here as well.

>We have just upgraded to 4D version 2.0 and (my boss reports) are having heaps
>of problems with bugs all over the place, not to mention a totally
>frustrating copy-protection scheme.
>
>Can anyone enlighten us as to the state of bugs in the US version?  The copy
>protection is so intrusive we suspect it has a lot to do with the bugs.

It is bug ridden over here as well, according to associates who use it. I
think it is up to ver 2.07 and still buggy. And still no runtime version
either. Perhaps Guy, spent too much time on his book and not enough on QA on
his own product. Zut alors!

-David
Somewhere in Macyberspace

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (10/17/89)

In article <1136@vaxa.uwa.oz> a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) writes:
> Here in OZ we suffer from US paranoia and are given a COPY-PROTECTED version
> of 4th Dimension.
> We have just upgraded to 4D version 2.0 and (my boss reports) are having heaps
> of problems with bugs all over the place, not to mention a totally
> frustrating copy-protection scheme.
> Can anyone enlighten us as to the state of bugs in the US version?  The copy
> protection is so intrusive we suspect it has a lot to do with the bugs.

Hm. I've just bought 4D here in the U.S. two weeks ago. It has its share of
minor bugs and strangenesses, but for a X.0 release, it's reasonably stable.
I've had it bungle the databases on occasion, but all but once it was able
to repair the damage itself (after yelling and bitching, of course). I'm
using MultiFinder and a zillion of INITs, so I can't be sure that 4D is to
blame. Certainly I've had much worse (no smiley here).

Copy protection??! Interesting. I wonder how THAT fits in with the
Macintosh Way of doing business... or does the M.W. only apply to U.S.
companies :-)?

On the other hand, considering the legal status of software in OZ, I can
sort of sympathise. Last time I looked, Australian courts still denied
copyright protection to software. I wouldn't want to sell software over
there...

Cheers
  -- perry

P.S.: Are there other people out there interested in discussing 4D issues?
      I'd say that 4D's language qualifies it for comp.sys.mac.programmer.
      Anybody from ACIUS here to answer questions? Well, just asking...
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		     perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **	   ...!pacbell!key!perry