[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Using the ictb resource

payne@unocss.UUCP (Matt Payne) (10/16/89)

In IM V p.278 it says:
	"You don't have to call any new routines to create color alert or
	dialog boxes.  Additional resources of times 'actb', 'dctb', and
	'ictb' complement existing 'ALRT', 'DLOG', and 'DITL' resources,
	and provide all the information needed to color dialog windows,
	controls, and text."

I have used ResEdit 1.2 to create a dctb resource that colors the dialog
box but, as I understand it, an ictb resource is needed to color the items
within the dialog box( the buttons, the static text, and the text edit boxes,
etc..).   ResEdit 1.2 does not have ictb built in.  Help!  How can I
create this resource in my programs?   I'm a beginning Mac programmer, so
please don't flame me if I'm being stupid.   I really would like to be
able to use color in my dialog boxes.  I'm also quite confused as to why
IM V would mention a resource that ResEdit does not know about?

Why we're at the dumb questions game, would someone please fill me in
wrt Rmaker?

Thanks for all the help! - matt

andyp@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Andy Peterman) (10/17/89)

In article <2168@unocss.UUCP> payne@unocss.UUCP (Matt Payne) writes:
>I have used ResEdit 1.2 to create a dctb resource that colors the dialog
>box but, as I understand it, an ictb resource is needed to color the items
>within the dialog box( the buttons, the static text, and the text edit boxes,
>etc..).   ResEdit 1.2 does not have ictb built in.  Help!  How can I
>create this resource in my programs....... I'm also quite confused as to why
>IM V would mention a resource that ResEdit does not know about?

Take a look at the sample they give you on IM-V page 282.  In
ResEdit, you have to use the generic editor, which is what they show in
the example.  It's fairly easy, just create four bytes of zeros for each
item in your DITL (use copy and paste) and then make the color control
table or text style record for each item you want colored. Finally, put
in the itemCData and itemCOffset information for each of these items,
leaving the remaining zero.

It would be impossible to create a ResEdit template to do this, although
someone could probably write a special editor.  I'm not sure its worth
the trouble.

	Andy Peterman