[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TechAlliance?

mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Kilby) (10/20/89)

Is anyone a member or have knowledge of TechAlliance, a computer cooperative.
They seem to have some good prices on software, but require a yearly membership
fee.  Is it worth it?  Can you return the software "with no hassles" if there
is a problem or are dissatisfied with the performance?

Patiently waiting,
Mark
mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu

paul@steven.COM (paul) (10/21/89)

In article <21082@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Kilby) writes:

> Is anyone a member or have knowledge of TechAlliance, a computer cooperative.
> They seem to have some good prices on software, but require a yearly membership
> fee.  Is it worth it?  Can you return the software "with no hassles" if there
> is a problem or are dissatisfied with the performance?

I'm happy with it.  They are the cheapest place I know for computer books.
They have a package with all of the Inside Mac Books and the Xref for 79.95!

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (10/23/89)

mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Kilby) writes:
>Is anyone a member or have knowledge of TechAlliance, a computer cooperative.
>They seem to have some good prices on software, but require a yearly membership
>fee.  Is it worth it?  Can you return the software "with no hassles" if there
>is a problem or are dissatisfied with the performance?

If you consider the fee to be for the magazine subscription, possible.
The few issues of the magazine that I have seen had some interesting
articles.  The prices are not all that great though.  Shop around some
of the mail order houses.
+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

bradn@tekig3.LEN.TEK.COM (Bradford Needham) (10/24/89)

In article <21082@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Is anyone a member or have knowledge of TechAlliance, a computer cooperative.
>.... Is it worth it?

I was a member of TechAlliance for 1 year.  I didn't renew.

I wasn't impressed with their catalog prices or selection, and their magazine
articles either bored or offended me.  The final blow was their article on how
to bleed customers through carefully-written license agreements.

Brad Needham
bradn@tekig3.len.tek.com