[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 6.04 and SADE

jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) (10/24/89)

As an owner of a new IIci and MPW (with SADE), naturally I'd like to be able
to run SADE on my new machine.  Well, the SADE multifinder (6.1b7) won't run
(well) under 6.04.  It bombs fairly rapidly.  I called APDA, and while they're
aware of the problem (other people have reported it to them) they have no
idea what's going to happen to rectify this situation.
I'm hoping that maybe one of the Mac DTS people could enlighten myself and the
rest of the net as to when we might see a SADE MultiFinder that works with
6.04?  Why doesn't the version of MultiFinder distributed with 6.04 have the
features to support SADE?  Do we have to wait for 7.0?

Thanks,

Jay O'Conor
Unisys/Convergent

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (10/24/89)

There is a MultiFinder version available that supports SADE and
works on the IIci. It is MF 6.1b9. It is currently available
on AppleLink, but there are legalities preventing us from
posting it to the net. I will speak to some people around
here (you there, Mr. Johnson?) who deal with this sort of
stuff regularly, and see what we can do.

As for System 6.0.4's MF, the reason it doesn't support the
new stuff is that 6.0.4 is supposed to be a machine support
release, which means no new features, so adding the SADE
support and Set Aside was not an option for us. Oh well.

Anyhow, MF 6.1b9 will be included with MPW 3.1, which will
be available in the not too distant future at a reasonable
upgrade fee (don't ask for specifics - I don't know them, and
with the quake and all, I don't even know when I will know
them. The MPW team had to move to another building, so
things are in flux right now over there.)

Later,

Andy Shebanow
Psychic To The Stars
MacDTS, Apple Computer

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (10/25/89)

In article <4858@internal.Apple.COM> shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) writes:
>There is a MultiFinder version available that supports SADE and
>works on the IIci. It is MF 6.1b9. It is currently available
>on AppleLink, but there are legalities preventing us from
>posting it to the net. I will speak to some people around
>here (you there, Mr. Johnson?) who deal with this sort of
>stuff regularly, and see what we can do.

What's this Mr. stuff oh great psychic?

As with other parts of System Software and many other things on the
first CD-ROM, we are working on trying to come up with a way to make
this stuff available via anonymous FTP without endangering our
copyrights.  It's not as easy as one might think, but I can promise
that you will all be the first to know if and when we succeed.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_