[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Z-80

erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) (10/31/89)

In article <4952@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>Don't feel badly; this was a big stumbling block on the 680x0 to me for a
>long time, since I moved to this family from the Z-80!  (Anyone else here
>remember the mighty Z-80)?

Yes! I started with 4 years of programming on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model
III. P-code pascal, Z-80 assembly... Z-80 assembly was such _fun_ to
hack in!

Eric
-----
eric.schlegel@dartmouth.edu

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (10/31/89)

In article <16431@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) writes:
>In article <4952@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>>Don't feel badly; this was a big stumbling block on the 680x0 to me for a
>>long time, since I moved to this family from the Z-80!  (Anyone else here
>>remember the mighty Z-80)?
>Yes! I started with 4 years of programming on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model
>III. P-code pascal, Z-80 assembly... Z-80 assembly was such _fun_ to
>hack in!

I got started programming on a 4K TRS-80 Model I.  I remember fondly the
upgrade to 16K.  (Some outrageous price, like $200.  Maybe more.)  I remember
equally fondly learning Z-80 assembly language using T-BUG.  Imagine my
delight when I encountered a fellow hacker (now the most senior staff member
on the Transarc transaction system project in Pittsburgh) who had a
DISK system with 48K AND this thing called a "macro assembler" ...  those
were the days.  Then imagine the delight we BOTH felt upon encountering
the Model III in the computer lab.

Since then I've written a few thousand lines of Z-80 assembler, and a lesser,
but considerable amount of 808x, VAX, 6502 and 680x0 assembly language; the
doggone backwards ordering of the Z-80 operands still gets me sometimes.

A friend of mine built a Z-80-based system (which originally ran cassette
basic) in 1977 (or thereabouts).  Hand-tweaked each buss termination in
order to run the Z-80 at nearly 4MHz (remember, the first were originally
rated at around 2MHz).  Damn thing still works; I have no idea what the
FCC would think of it, though ...

Oh, well ... back to MacW[h]arehouse and the White Knight controversy ... :-)

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.