[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Low Level Mouse Port Questions

sluggo@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Thomas De Bellis) (10/31/89)

I'm writing an Application on the MacIntosh and I am trying to access
the low level interface to the mouse port.

This is so I can implement a `wrapping' feature--that is, if I tried
to move the mouse cursor too far to the right, it would show up on the
left hand side of the screen instead of stopping on the right.

Additionally, the current interval of updating the mouse co-ordinates
is too slow for my application.  It is 1/60th of a second--I need this
to be at least 1/1000th of a second.  How can I change this?  Inside
Macintosh does not provide any help for these low level kinds of
questions.

I had heard of a utility that does the wrapping, but couldn't find
anything obvious around.  Anyone in the know have some advice?

						-- Tom

mnkonar@smallberries.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (11/02/89)

In article <2035@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> sluggo@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Thomas De Bellis) writes:
>This is so I can implement a `wrapping' feature--that is, if I tried
>to move the mouse cursor too far to the right, it would show up on the
>left hand side of the screen instead of stopping on the right.

What a weird thing to want to do (unless it's a game or something).  Anyway,
code to do just this is in the October 89 ish of MacTutor.  It's an INIT
actually, but you can probably figure out what to do by examining the code.

Why do you need to update the mouse at a greater rate?  The motion won't
appear any smoother; the screen gets redrawn at roughly the same interval
(depending on the Mac/Monitor combo).

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)