[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Fkey installer

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (11/03/89)

I've written a FKEY and need to know if anyone
has a simple fkey installation code that I could use.
I want the user to be able to just double click
the program and install the FKEY. And if the key that
was assigned to the fkey is not available give the
user the option of changing the Id number.
I could write this my self but i wanted to see if someone
has some code to share. I don't want to have to reinvent
the wheel if not need to :-)

Also a question. My fkey has a help Dlog that explains its
functions. When the user dismisses the Dlog the fkeys dialog
updates correctly but the application doesn't refresh until
the fkey is finished. Is there anyway to update the application
winows?

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       stores@unix.sri.com

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/04/89)

In article <5254@unix.SRI.COM> stores@sri-unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:
>I've written a FKEY and need to know if anyone
>has a simple fkey installation code that I could use.
>I want the user to be able to just double click
>the program and install the FKEY. And if the key that
>was assigned to the fkey is not available give the
>user the option of changing the Id number.

The Apple Installer should work just fine, except for the last part.
The Installer would normally be overkill for this kind of task, but I
assume from your next note that there are some extra resources with
the thing.

>I could write this my self but i wanted to see if someone
>has some code to share. I don't want to have to reinvent
>the wheel if not need to :-)

Writing your own program to do these elementary resource manager
operations should be considerably less than a full day's work.

>Also a question. My fkey has a help Dlog that explains its
>functions. When the user dismisses the Dlog the fkeys dialog
>updates correctly but the application doesn't refresh until
>the fkey is finished. Is there anyway to update the application
>winows?

Not really.  As long as you have control, then the application is
inside GetNextEvent.  There's no way to downcall the application with
an update message.  I can't think of any way you could pass control
back to the application, except for messy patch-type solutions.  (For
instance, you could have the FKEY install an idle event handler into
jGNEfilter and return immediately when the dialog is done; the next
idle event would cause the actual work to be done, and restore the old
value of jGNEfilter.)  This kind of solution may create compatibility
problems and will certainly complicate your code more than it's worth.

"The above opinions and suggestions have absolutely nothing to do with
 the little fat man putting crisp $100 bills in my pocket."
    -- Alan Vymetalik