[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Update Events for Nested Dialogs

GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) (11/04/89)

Update events on nested dialogs.

I've noticed that if I have several nested dialog boxes, that the
background window is not always updated correctly...

Why?  What am I doing wrong.

Thanks,

Aaron Reizes
reizes@forsythe.stanford.edu

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (11/05/89)

In article <5534@lindy.Stanford.EDU> GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) writes:
>Update events on nested dialogs.
>
>I've noticed that if I have several nested dialog boxes, that the
>background window is not always updated correctly...
>
>Why?  What am I doing wrong.

I assume you mean nested Modal Dialog boxes, where a button in one
gets the next box, etc.  In my opinion this is bad user interface,
because it makes things in each succeeding level of nesting harder to
get at.  This is of course my opinion, and I realize that there are
situations where this is necessary, but I believe that such are few
and far between.

Install a dialog filter proc which intercepts events when a modal
dialog is foremost.  When it gets an update event for a background
window, redraw the window as necessary.  That should take care of the
problem if it is what I think, and is not hard to do.

Better yet, use modeless dialogs or single-layer modal.

Earle R. Horton