[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Better Documentation, a modest proposal

silverio@brahms.berkeley.edu (C J Silverio) (11/02/89)

I am sick to death of trying to code Mac applications with the
existing documentation.

Consider, for example, the case of TextEdit. It was originally
documented in IM-I, then there were a few tech notes on it, then it
was revised in IM-IV and again in IM-V, with a spate of additional
tech notes following. One needs to obtain, read, and piece together
all of these bits of info to use TextEdit with maximum effect. Why
hasn't anybody done this piecing together already?

What I want is a set of three-ring binders that contains one chapter
per manager. Whenever Apple adds more documentation affecting that
manager (a tech note, a new IM chapter, etc.), I want a revised
version of the entire chapter, as well as a short, succinct
notification of what changed. (I won't ask for "change bars" since
everyone knows they were invented by IBM.)

(Of course, if this information was to also be available as an
updateable, monster Hypercard stack, I wouldn't complain, but frankly,
I can read printed pages much more easily than computer monitors, so
I'd also insist on paper copies.)

I want sample code for everything, especially when a Tech Note would
tell me that "you should write your code like this..." I would be
tickled pink if this code was made available on disk.

I want to be confident that at most any time, my manuals are
up-to-date and definitive. I want to know that all the information is
right there in that one document.

Obviously, it is in Apple's very most bestest of interests to provide
such a service, since it would simplify Macintosh programming
immensely, and boost the number of programs out there.

Apple also would have the enviable position of providing the
definitive code examples as mentioned above, which I am sure just
about every development system would beg to redistribute, customized
for their product.

Frankly, however, I couldn't care less if this documentation came
direct from Apple, from APDA, or from some third-party vendor.

I would be willing to pay dearly for this service. Although I am
blessed with electronic availability of much of the information, it is
annoying and difficult to stay up-to-date. I'd happily pay for the
service of having it show up in my mailbox.

I should also point out for the former-IBM-VP's-of-Marketing out there
that this kind of service is exactly what Those Giant Computer
Companies provide.

I won't hear any arguments about how this kind of service would cost
too much for "most users." They can live with the old way. I want, and
am willing to pay for, a better solution.

How 'bout it?

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (11/03/89)

Inside Mac is available from APDA in a 3-ring binder format (at least the
catalog lists it). It still wasn't available last summer due to printing
problems. Combine the 3-ring format with the technotes and you'd be able
to keep yourself up to date.

--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my

silverio@brahms.berkeley.edu (C J Silverio) (11/05/89)

Brian Bezanson wants me to know that:
   Inside Mac is available from APDA in a 3-ring binder format (at least the
   catalog lists it). It still wasn't available last summer due to printing
   problems. Combine the 3-ring format with the technotes and you'd be able
   to keep yourself up to date.

Well, that's a great thing, but I really want the chapters on Inside
Mac themselves re-written to incorporate all the supplemental and
"clarifying" information into the original texts.

Think of how much easier this would make the Menu Manager, for
example. Instead of the three IM chapters and numerous Tech Notes that
chronicled its evolution and helped explain its gestalt, there could
be one clear, concise chapter that had been re-written a few times.
After all, the Menu Manager is really quite simple to use, once you
clear the hurdle of collating all that information about it.

Incidentally, it's also been pointed out to me that APDA has a library
of sample code that covers many common Mac programming situations. I
can't hardly wait to get it all.

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (11/06/89)

In article <1405@adobe.UUCP> bezanson@adobe.UUCP (Brian Bezanson) writes:
>Inside Mac is available from APDA in a 3-ring binder format (at least the
>catalog lists it). It still wasn't available last summer due to printing
>problems. Combine the 3-ring format with the technotes and you'd be able
>to keep yourself up to date.

This doesn't solve the problem.  What is needed is a 3-ring binder
format where Apple, instead of (or in addition to) publishing new
books, will fix errors, add pages, add sections to the 3-ring binder
in a timely manner.  It would be unacceptable to have to get a tech
note, try to decide where in the binder it would be most useful/less
confusing, and just shove it in.  The 3-ring binder that apple gives
is (to the best of my knowledge) basically a copy of the standard
Inside Mac with the cover removed and holes drilled in it.  Not very
satisfying.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu  <<-- what am I bitching about?  I probably couldn't