[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Public Folder Can Access Your _Entire_ HD

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (11/07/89)

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one of my grad students
discovered that if you name your Public Folder ":" instead of
"Public", then everyone else on your network can access _everything_
(including _all_ the folders) on your HD.

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (11/07/89)

In a recent posting siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
| Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one of my grad students
| discovered that if you name your Public Folder ":" instead of
| "Public", then everyone else on your network can access _everything_
| (including _all_ the folders) on your HD.

But you can only get at what is visible from the root directory.  You
cannot go into a folder and choose items from there.  (Unless you have
more than one copy of P.F. running! :-)

Anyone know how to access a volume _other_than_ the boot volume?  It
seems not to be a supported feature, although a bit of the documentation
seems to imply this is possible.

Thanks Claris!  That solves a simple backup problem we've been having.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (11/08/89)

Let's see..
Recently, jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) wrote:

>Anyone know how to access a volume _other_than_ the boot volume?  It
>seems not to be a supported feature, although a bit of the documentation
>seems to imply this is possible.

Sure.  No problem.  The default for the public folder is listed as
":Public:".  This means that PF will go after the folder named "Public"
on the boot drive.  If you want to specify a volume other than the boot
drive, omit the leading colon from the pathname.

>Example:<  If the folder that you want to make the public folder is
called "Fred" and it is on the volume "Hobbes" which is >NOT< the boot
volume, then the pathname you would specify is:

   Hobbes:Fred:
  ^ Note: no colon in front!!

I've been using this here at CMU and it works really well.

-Chris Parker
cp26@andrew.cmu.edu

"So Plato...the parts are less than the whole, right?"
"Yes..."
"and the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, right?"
"Yes..."
"So philosophers should rule the world, right?"

"I'm sorry, say that again?"

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (11/08/89)

In article <367@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one of my grad students
>discovered that if you name your Public Folder ":" instead of
>"Public", then everyone else on your network can access _everything_
>(including _all_ the folders) on your HD.

Note: this *is* a feature.  You can set your Public folder to be ANYTHING
that's around at INIT time.  I've even set it to be an automounting AppleShare
server folder.  (It was surprisingly fast considering the AppleShare volume
was really a Sun!).

Setting your Public folder to be your whole volume is a great way to make
a copy of a Hard Disk remotely.  I know people who do this when they are
setting up a new machine and want to clone a know good system.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce