[comp.sys.mac.programmer] NBP protocol.

pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Pascal Constantin Meier) (11/08/89)

Hi. I've just started doing some appletalk programming, and I'm looking
into the NBP. So far, all I have to go on is the example in Inside Mac
(which I've interpreted to run on Think C 3.0). However, if someone out
there has some code which can look at an appletalk network and identify
entities on it, I would be most grateful if you would sent it to me. (C
code or Pascal is fine.)
   I assume that the NBP is used for this, but other than looking for
Print Spoolers ;-), I have no idea how to look for other entities. ANY
code will help!

just another clueless neophyte programmer,
Pascal

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (11/09/89)

In article <11368@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pcmeier@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Pascal Constantin Meier) writes:
> if someone out
> there has some code which can look at an appletalk network and identify
> entities on it, I would be most grateful if you would sent it to me. (C
> code or Pascal is fine.)

You might want to look into using the NuLookup package included with the
Communications Toolbox which provides a standardized dialog for performing
network lookups (kind of a standard file for net lookups) which fully
supports filter procs, hook procs, zones, and continuous asynchronous NBP
lookups (a la Chooser) along with full alphabetization of lists, and
keyboard shortcuts.

Communications Toolbox is available from APDA.

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat  "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM