[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Question on using SADE to debug 'cdev's and 'DRVR's

korn@anableps.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (11/08/89)

I would like to use SADE to debug a cdev that I'm writing.  I initially
wrote the cdev under Think C, but for a variety of reasons (not the least
of which is that the Think C debugger constantly crashes when debugging
my cdev), I'm moving over to MPW C.  I will also later be writing a DRVR
in MPW C.  I would like to use the SADE debugger on both the cdev and DRVR.

Trying the obvious 'target "rootVol:system folder:DA Handler" using "..."'
doesn't work; SADE will only target APPLs.  My basic understanding of
how SADE does it's debugging is: it needs to get a valid MultiFinder process
to target, and then will debug anything in that processes resource map
(as it does with MPW tools).  Therefore I would assume that some sort of
cdev-shell program would work (as well as a DRVR-shell).

Is this correct?  If so, does a cdev-shell program exist?  A DRVR-shell?
Is there anyway to just walk through the MultiFinder process list, break
the DA Handler, and go from there?  Or perhaps open the Control Panel inside
an application's layer and go from there?

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@mica.Berkeley.EDU

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) (11/10/89)

korn@anableps.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:

>I would like to use SADE to debug a cdev that I'm writing.

>Peter
>--
>Peter "Arrgh" Korn
>korn@mica.Berkeley.EDU
>{decvax,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses,usenix}!ucbvax!mica!korn

I don't think you can (unless, as you said, you want to write an APPL
shell for it).  For debugging non-APPL stuff I find Steve Jasik's
Debugger absolutely essential.  If you can look past the awkward
interface, the more than occasional bugs in it, and Steve's "style",
it is a godsend!

The Debugger does do full source level debugging given either an MPW
.SYM file or Think C project.  The Pascal support is better than the C
support (i.e. all Debugger internal syntax is in Pascal. Steve is VERY
much a Pascal programmer) but it handles C (and C++) more than
adequately.  Look in any MacTutor for an ad.

I have no affiliation with Steve Jasik except as an occasional tester and
haranguer about problems and lack of better C support.

                                                        Jeff
--
uucp:      ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:     SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM