[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacsBug and LSC

mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) (11/09/89)

I know that you can call the debugger, if one is installed, from LSP by
using the command Debugger or DebugStr.  Is there any such command in LSC?
Specifically, i want something like the DebugStr command in LSP.  And this is
for a real application, so using the Monitor menu choice in the LSC debugger
won't work.

-Mike

mnkonar@manyjars.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (11/10/89)

In article <6988@hubcap.clemson.edu> mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
>I know that you can call the debugger, if one is installed, from LSP by
>using the command Debugger or DebugStr.  Is there any such command in LSC?
>Specifically, i want something like the DebugStr command in LSP.  And this is

Debugger and DebugStr work anywhere, regardless of the language in question.
(Well, I suppose it does have to be a compiled language.)

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/10/89)

In article <6988@hubcap.clemson.edu> mikeoro@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael K O'Rourke) writes:
>I know that you can call the debugger, if one is installed, from LSP by
>using the command Debugger or DebugStr.  Is there any such command in LSC?

Yes; Debugger and DebugStr are Macintosh Traps, not library routines.

pascal void Debugger(void);
pascal void DebugStr(Str255 message);

Debugger();
DebugStr("\p Hi there!");

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) (11/10/89)

In article <38417@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@manyjars.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat
N. Konar) writes:
> Debugger and DebugStr work anywhere, regardless of the language in
> question.
> (Well, I suppose it does have to be a compiled language.)

Not quite.  As Rich Siegel points out, these are System Traps, invokable
anywhere you can convince the machine to execute a few bytes of code (ie,
machine code, which isn't compiled).

ed

++++++
ed devinney...IRIS/Brown University, Providence, RI...ejd@iris.brown.edu
-- "If ya feel, ya heal" JC, _Greaser's Palace_--

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (11/10/89)

In article <20356@brunix.UUCP> ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) writes:
>In article <38417@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@manyjars.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat
>N. Konar) writes:
>> Debugger and DebugStr work anywhere, regardless of the language in
>> question.
>> (Well, I suppose it does have to be a compiled language.)
>
>Not quite.  As Rich Siegel points out, these are System Traps, invokable
>anywhere you can convince the machine to execute a few bytes of code (ie,
>machine code, which isn't compiled).

Yeah, but it's not exactly a language either.

Picky, picky, picky.
:)

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/12/89)

If you include the file <pascal.h> you get all the declaration you need to
use DebugStr().  Now, I am going to reveal a great secret, this little gem
was my main debugging tool before I got the THINK C version 3 source level
debugger. It is a variant of printf() that writes to the debug screen:

dprintf(pat, arg)char *pat;int arg;{
	char s[256];

	s[0] = vsprintf(&s[1], pat, &arg);
	DebugStr((StringPtr) s);
}

--- According to the Constitution, the Constitution is unconstitutional:
--- David Phillip Oster            --U.S.Constitution I.10.1: "No State shall
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --enter into any treaty, alliance, or
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu -- confederation..."