[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW cross compile Mac->GS?

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (11/16/89)

I'm wondering, is there any setup that can be used to compile a Macintosh
C program written in MPW for the Apple IIGS?

I understand there are cross compilers available but is there anything that
would actually let you take a program written for the Mac, and compile it to
run on an Apple IIGS with little or no modification of the source code?

I'm an experienced Mac programmer, although I haven't looked too much into
the GS.  The GS's operating system seems to be very Mac-like...

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{uunet, rutgers}!iuvax!ndmath!milo
milo@ndmath
GEnie:  GCORSON

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (11/16/89)

In article <1595@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I'm wondering, is there any setup that can be used to compile a Macintosh
>C program written in MPW for the Apple IIGS?
>
>I understand there are cross compilers available but is there anything that
>would actually let you take a program written for the Mac, and compile it to
>run on an Apple IIGS with little or no modification of the source code?
>
>I'm an experienced Mac programmer, although I haven't looked too much into
>the GS.  The GS's operating system seems to be very Mac-like...

There isn't anything like this currently. The closest you can get is to use the
MPW IIGS cross-development system. This allows you to write and compile your
Apple II systems under MPW, and then use the provided tool that will transfer
them to a ProDOS 3.5" disk. It's fast and wonderful, but it doesn't make any
provisions for using common code. There are lots of differences between the
two toolboxes that make this difficult. It could theoretically be done with
a high-degree of compatibility, but you would be writing for the lowest
common denominator on both machines, which drags you down pretty low. For
instance, you wouldn't be able to use the Color/Palette Mgrs on the Mac, and
you wouldn't be able to use TaskMaster on the GS.

Finally, the OS's, per se, are totally different.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions