[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MIDI Manager woes...

lwk@caen.engin.umich.edu (Woody Kellum) (11/15/89)

I bought the MIDI manager from APDA and, as Murphy would say, it never stood
a chance.  The demo programs communicate among themselves just fine, but when
I try to hook up an actual device to SquidCakes to monitor it, or when I try
to play it through SimpleKeys, etc, nothing works right.  Here's a summary
of the weirdness:

SquidCakes displays a $FD message every half-second.  I'm assuming that this
is my synth's Active Sense message, corrupted from $FE, what it should be.
The driver is supposed to mask out all the $FE's.

For every single message the synth puts out, notes, controls, etc, the
SquidCakes displays "0 2 0 40".  If I hook from SimpleKeys to SquidCakes
and play a note on the SimpleKeys, I correctly see "90 xx 40" where xx is
the note value.  So the Squid is working right, it's gotta be the DRIVER.

Note that I use DMCS and Performer all the time, and they don't use the
MIDI manager but work 100% of the time!  Now I get the "New & Improved"
way of doing things and I can't get so much as a beep out of the synth.
APDA, ApplePeople, MIDIites, HELP!

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (11/20/89)

In article <46d6de80.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> lwk@caen.engin.umich.edu (Woody Kellum) writes:

>I bought the MIDI manager from APDA and, as Murphy would say, it never stood
>a chance.  The demo programs communicate among themselves just fine, but when
>I try to hook up an actual device to SquidCakes to monitor it, or when I try
>to play it through SimpleKeys, etc, nothing works right.  Here's a summary
>of the weirdness:

The demo programs worked fine right out of the box for me.  If I remember
correctly, I first tested them with a DX-7 and a couple of TX-81Zs.  If you
post a list of the equipment in question you might get some useful answers.
Your notion that your MIDI stream is being "corrupted" is probably wrong
unless there is something *seriously* out of whack in your setup.

There is always the possibility (however remote) that another INIT (or
whatever) is causing you difficulty.  The MIDI Manager patch crashes some
commercial software ...

The folks on rec.music.synth and rec.music.makers may be able to help you
figure out what MIDI idiosyncracies your specific instruments have.

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.