[comp.sys.mac.programmer] The brand-new OS

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (11/22/89)

In article <5338@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
(talking about the present incarnation of the multitasking capabilities,
ie, the MultiFinder):

>My personal opinion is that there was no good way to implement protected
>memory for the MacOS on the few machines that we have that are even
>guaranteed to have a PMMU chip, and that while we were able to hack
>multitasking comparatively well, we would have created far more problems
>with trying to implement protected memory on top of the current OS.
>
>It seems like a lot of what's being asked for will have to wait for a
>brand-spanking new OS.  That wouldn't be a bad thing (also in my opinion)
>but neither can I make any promises.  Sorry.

  Are you referring to the coming brand-new OS for the Macintosh,
  a total rewrite of the existing one,  mentioned publicly by John
  Sculley in the spring of 1988?   Or just a slip-o-the-ol'-tongue?

--Ian Feldman /  ianf@nada.kth.se || uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf
             / "Let's get out of this place and nuke it from orbit" -- Alien

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (11/22/89)

writes:
> >It seems like a lot of what's being asked for will have to wait for a
> >brand-spanking new OS.  That wouldn't be a bad thing (also in my
opinion)
> >but neither can I make any promises.  Sorry.
>

>   Are you referring to the coming brand-new OS for the Macintosh,
>   a total rewrite of the existing one,  mentioned publicly by John
>   Sculley in the spring of 1988?   Or just a slip-o-the-ol'-tongue?

C'mon; you know as well as I do that I can neither confirm nor deny
anything that John Sculley is reputed to have said!  I've met the man a
grand total of one time in my entire life!

Besides, even when some of our management DOES say something like "we're
doing this," in very broad, vague kinds of terms, it's certainly putting
one's career on the line to say anything more about it (just ask David
Ramsey).

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.