[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Hex to ASCII

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (12/01/89)

Hi.
	I was wondering if anyone out there in netland knows of the existence
of a program that will convert a file from hexadecimal to ASCII.  Seems that
some data files I have from a spectrophotometer are in hex, and I need to get
them into ASCII so that I can plot the data, etc.  There is a utility on the
spectrophotometer that will convert the machine's data files (which are binary)
to hexadecimal, but unfortunately it won't convert them to ASCII.  I can get
the file (in hex) onto a mac or UNIX, but now I need to convert the files to
a usable form.  I *could* write a utility to do this, i guess, but I would
rather not re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for any help...

 John Boswell 			  	 	boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
 Dept. of Chemistry		 		boz@dartCMS1.BITNET
 Dartmouth College, Hangover, Nude Hampster  03755

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (12/01/89)

In article <17462@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) writes:

>Hi.
>	I was wondering if anyone out there in netland knows of the existence
>of a program that will convert a file from hexadecimal to ASCII.  Seems that
>some data files I have from a spectrophotometer are in hex, and I need to get
>them into ASCII so that I can plot the data, etc.  There is a utility on the
>spectrophotometer that will convert the machine's data files (which are binary)
>to hexadecimal, but unfortunately it won't convert them to ASCII.  I can get
>the file (in hex) onto a mac or UNIX, but now I need to convert the files to
>a usable form.  I *could* write a utility to do this, i guess, but I would
>rather not re-invent the wheel.
>
>Thanks for any help...
>

>--
> John Boswell 			  	 	boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
> Dept. of Chemistry		 		boz@dartCMS1.BITNET
> Dartmouth College, Hangover, Nude Hampster  03755

Get the Clipboard Magician DA from sumex. Actually because of the component
nature of the DA, it would not be one single operation, so there would be
an operation to read the file into the clipboard, an operation to do the
transformation, and yet another operation to save the data into a file, so
it would still accomplish what you want, the advantage being that you can
save it as a resource rather than as a file if you so desire by choosing
the save as resource operation rathern than the save as file operation.

In future version you should be able to chain all these operation into a
single operation if you need to repeat the operation often.

/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS75-6J                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */
zW@h9cOi