[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Ad hominem attacks

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (12/01/89)

Tim--Shame on you for posting ad hominem attacks.  If you must attack Paul's
behavior, please don't villify him as an individual.  I'm constantly
re-amazed at the power of usenet--by putting up with a little fluff (and
perhaps some bluster) I can feel connected to people doing similar work
around the world.  You're one of a handful of real experts offering this
feast of information, but I don't think you realize how much it can hurt
to be publicly attacked on comp.sys.mac.programmer.  It's not like a
broadcast attack; it's direct mail to specifically the people whose
professional respect matters the most.

Paul--Take the hint.  Tim is completely right that your job is public
relations whenever you're on this net.  Apple promulgates standards; the
developer community makes them happen because we believe in standards and
we agree that the particular ones Apple pushes are acceptable.  A lot of
"standard" practices came from people like Tim, not Apple.  The charge
is that you believe that a harsh drill sergeant approach can force
standards upon unwilling developers--say it ain't so, Paul.  If you
explain the standards, you have a chance of selling them to us--yelling
doesn't work.  I'm sorry about the frustration, but I think it goes with
the territory.

/alastair/

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (12/01/89)

In article <309@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> Paul--Take the hint.  Tim is completely right that your job is public
> relations whenever you're on this net.  Apple promulgates standards; the
> developer community makes them happen because we believe in standards and
> we agree that the particular ones Apple pushes are acceptable.  A lot of
> "standard" practices came from people like Tim, not Apple.  The charge
> is that you believe that a harsh drill sergeant approach can force
> standards upon unwilling developers--say it ain't so, Paul.  If you
> explain the standards, you have a chance of selling them to us--yelling
> doesn't work.  I'm sorry about the frustration, but I think it goes with
> the territory.

Ok, Alastair: it ain't so. :-)  Seriously, the point that I was trying to
make (albeit the wrong way) was that I felt that the technical rationale
behind the discussion HAD been made clear several times, both in Tech
Notes and in this forum, by a number of people--myself and Larry
Rosenstein, primarily.

It seems at this point that a lot of people either hadn't seen or hadn't
understood that rationale, so it's been worth outlining it again, which I
have done in recent posts.  I hope it's been clear enough to be helpful.

In particular, I've been very gratified lately to have heard (via mail)
from some folks who had been tail patching who are VERY interested in
alternative approaches, and in at least one case we've been able to find a
workaround that doesn't require trap patching at all.  That's the good
part of what I do--when I'm able to help someone do something in a better
way than it might have been done otherwise.

Thanks for the comments!

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.