[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Macintalk glitch

jenlan@eos (Jennifer S Lanham) (11/30/89)

I am using Macintalk from Think C 4.0 on a Mac IIx
and I have been having problems with Macintalk.

When the program "talks" the first time it works fine.
In fact, in works fine for awhile. But then I do some
CopyBits and DrawStrings and the "talking" doesn't work.

I have used the Think C Debugger to check out the data
structures used in the talk routines, and they look OK.
(No null handles or scrambled strings). The output from
the Reader procedure seems good. There is just no sound.

When the talking doesn't work it does put the machine
on hold for the time it would take to "say" the speech.
Sort of like the Mac has lost it's voice.
 I don't *know* what the problem could be, but I tried
some guessing like locking the speech handle.

I have been working with this for quite some time and keep
coming up with the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou,

Jennifer Lanham

jenlan@eos.arc.nasa.gov

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (12/04/89)

In article <5679@eos.UUCP>, jenlan@eos (Jennifer S Lanham) writes:
> I am using Macintalk from Think C 4.0 on a Mac IIx
> and I have been having problems with Macintalk.
>
> When the program "talks" the first time it works fine.
> In fact, in works fine for awhile. But then I do some
> CopyBits and DrawStrings and the "talking" doesn't work.
>[stuff deleted...]
> When the talking doesn't work it does put the machine
> on hold for the time it would take to "say" the speech.
> Sort of like the Mac has lost it's voice.
>  I don't *know* what the problem could be, but I tried
> some guessing like locking the speech handle.
>
> I have been working with this for quite some time and keep
> coming up with the same problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I had exactly the same problems when I switched from an SE to a Mac II to test
my program that used MacinTalk.  My solution was to forget about MacinTalk and
use a system based on individual 'snd ' resources which contain words.  I use
the new sound manager stuff to play them while animating a talking bird figure.
I've had a couple of problems - the 'snd 's take up a lot of space for example
- but at least even people who've never heard a computer speak before can
understand it - and I did a version that spoke in Urdu - and you should have
see the effect THAT had on the people that my research group was trying to get
money for the project from...

Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *