[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Fear of Commies

outer@sq.sq.com (Richard Outerbridge) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec1.140641.13414@cs.umu.se> christer@cs.umu.se
	(Christer Ericson) writes:

>And why should someone want to limit the distribution of a DES encryptor?
>If someone wants to know about DES all they have to do is look it up in
>just about any serious computer journal. Afraid of commies are we?

Actually just obeying the law.  Both the Excited States and Canada
prohibit the unlicensed export of cryptographic technical data,
including computer software, that can be used for data privacy
(i.e. encryption as opposed to authentication).  Cryptographic software
is considered to be weapons material, right up there with artillery
shells and rocket launchers.

Christer is right that DES programs have been widely published and
are generally available to anyone who wants them.  I seem to remember
that Sweden in particular places no restrictions on the export of
cryptographic technology; this may or may not be an enlightened attitude.
Then again, I don't think the Swedes impose many controls on the export
of artillery shells and rocket launchers (can you say Bofors?) either.

Richard Outerbridge