[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Projector

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (12/06/89)

I'm trying to get the Projector to cooperate on my IIci.  I am
running system 6.0.4 and MPW 3.0.  My programming tutor, Dave
O'Rourke, and I were trying to get Projector to run a couple of
weeks ago, with no luck.  I realize this is somewhat vague, but in
hopes of this being a previously reported bug, or that we didn't
weren't holding our mouths right, I thought I'd go ahead and post
it anyway.

So.  Is there some irreparable conflict between the IIci, system
6.0.4 or my University with Projector?  Is there a fix?

In the same vein, I want to ask a question.  I'm switching over
from Turbo Pascal to MPW.  When my code is compiled in Turbo, it
works OK (except for known bugs).  When I compile it in MPW, I then
get a bus error when doing text editing (cut and paste,
specifically).  The only differences in the code are due to the
syntactical peculiarities of each compiler (primarily exit calls).

Is there something I need to do besides getting it to compile?

a baffled undergrad

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec6.035906.370@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (Terrell Drinkard) writes:
>I'm trying to get the Projector to cooperate on my IIci.  I am
>running system 6.0.4 and MPW 3.0.  My programming tutor, Dave
>O'Rourke, and I were trying to get Projector to run a couple of
>weeks ago, with no luck.  I realize this is somewhat vague, but in
>hopes of this being a previously reported bug, or that we didn't
>weren't holding our mouths right, I thought I'd go ahead and post
>it anyway.
>
>So.  Is there some irreparable conflict between the IIci, system
>6.0.4 or my University with Projector?  Is there a fix?

There is no problem that I've heard of from any of our developers, and I haven't
experienced any problems myself. If you could be more specific, perhaps we
could narrow down the problem to something else. In projector's case, it could
easily be the case that you aren't holding your mouth right...

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

borton@fwi.uva.nl (Chris Borton) (12/08/89)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>In article <1989Dec6.035906.370@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (Terrell Drinkard) writes:
>>So.  Is there some irreparable conflict between the IIci, system
>>6.0.4 or my University with Projector?  Is there a fix?

>There is no problem that I've heard of from any of our developers,and I haven't
>experienced any problems myself. If you could be more specific, perhaps we
>could narrow down the problem to something else. In projector's case, it could
>easily be the case that you aren't holding your mouth right...

I might mention a problem we have been experiencing at work for several
months now, and finally last week got Apple Holland to forward a question
about it to DTS.

We had very bizarre behaviour using Projector over EtherTalk 1.2 on
AppleShare 2.0 servers.  Most of the time things would work OK.  BUT, at a
rate that we could not find any factor for despite trying a lot, it would
sometimes lose characters when checking out.  That is, we would do a
checkin and checkout right after each other (yes, I know about checkin -m)
and the resulting file would be missing characters.  Often entire sections.
The version on the server would sometimes be missing them too.

Using a different AppleShare disk resulted in _different_ behaviour, but it
still went wrong sometimes.  Using LocalTalk, however, had NO problems.
This effect happened far more frequently on a IIcx than a II, but I
peronally have doubts about that making a difference.

Worse, this happened far more frequently in one room/project, while people in
the other room (different project, same server & network) had no problems.

There are so many variables in this it's difficult to start tracing it down.

-cbb

Disclaimer: I would never speak for KPMG Klynveld even if offered the chance.
Chris Borton	borton@fwi.uva.nl
Mac Developer & AppleTalk Network Administrator, University of Amsterdam CS