[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SADE

phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) (01/19/89)

	Could someone give me a brief description of SADE?  How
does it compare to the THINK debugger?  Does SADE use a "Mac-like
interface" or is it more in the spirit of MPW?

	Since SADE works with both Pascal and C (I guess the Asm also?)
most of the smarts are in the compiler.  Does anyone know if I can get
a description of the info the compiler generates for SADE?

						phil@ems.media.mit.edu

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (01/20/89)

In article <3494@mit-amt> phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) writes:

>        Could someone give me a brief description of SADE?  How
>does it compare to the THINK debugger?  Does SADE use a "Mac-like
>interface" or is it more in the spirit of MPW?

Well, even MPW uses a "Mac-like" interface...

Anyways, SADE does have a "WorkSheet" exactly like MPW in which you can
type commands.  It has menus that look almost exactly like MPW's: It has
Find, Mark, and Window.  It also supports scripts like MPW, however, the
command language is different in many places (it's debugger oriented, of
course).

Compared to THINK C's debugger, I'd have to say that SADE is quite a bit
more difficult to learn.  However, I think that SADE for me will be much
easier to use, since I can customize it exactly like I want it, for each
project that I work on.  SADE's command language is about as difficult to
learn as the MPW command language.

SADE can show quite a bit more that the LSC debugger.  It'll show you the
heap in a neat way, it'll show you all the FCBs in the system, it will
show you all the resource in the system in a neat way.  It does quite a
few more things (the programmers even stuck in a factorial function).

All in all, both are nice.  If you have a spare 5 mb, go for SADE.  If
you only have 2mb, LSC debugger is the route to go.  I've got both here
(I'm staring at them both now also), and I like them both.

BTW, SADE is standalone, which means that if other compiler writers can
make their compilers spit out SADE symbolic information, you could use SADE
with them.  I don't know where to find the format of the .SYM file yet,
though.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      nopuklic@Plains.NoDak.EDU  "I think I'm going       ||
|| NDSU Student ACM    nopuklic@ndsuvax.BITNET          bald..."           ||
|| Chairperson         NU087763@NDSUVM1.BITNET     -- Rush, from Caress    ||
|| North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND           of Steel, 1975       ||
||                                                                         ||
||              "Everyone should have a Corvette, I think."                ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (01/20/89)

In article <3494@mit-amt> phil@mit-amt (Phil Sohn) writes:
>	Could someone give me a brief description of SADE?  How
>does it compare to the THINK debugger?  Does SADE use a "Mac-like
>interface" or is it more in the spirit of MPW?
>	Since SADE works with both Pascal and C (I guess the Asm also?)
>most of the smarts are in the compiler.  Does anyone know if I can get
>a description of the info the compiler generates for SADE?

SADE uses the same shell technique that MPW does. As such, it doesn't really
compare with the THINK debugger. The features are pretty much the same. However,
while THINK is easier to use, SADE is scriptable and potentially more
powerful.

The formats for the SADE object records generated by the compilers and linker
are documented in Appendix H of the MPW 3.0 manual.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
      "You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (01/22/89)

>SADE can show quite a bit more that the LSC debugger.  It'll show you the
>heap in a neat way, it'll show you all the FCBs in the system, it will
>show you all the resource in the system in a neat way.  It does quite a
>few more things (the programmers even stuck in a factorial function).

There is a commerical product Debugger's Assistant that provides all of this
(except for the factorial function :-) for LSC and LSP.  It is a desk accessory
and so can is available at any time.  If you want more information on it,
email me and I'll send you details and ordering information.

Disclaimer:  I wrote Debugger's Assistant and I market it, so I'm very
prejudiced about it.

Jerry Whitnell
BC Software

--
Jerry Whitnell                    Several Species of Small Furry
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com          Animals Gathered Together in a

breek@byuvax.bitnet (01/22/89)

In addition to the preceding comments, let me say that SADE has one of the
neatest "About..." dialogs I have ever seen.

--Lyle D. Gunderson (mere student)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/23/89)

In article <346breek@byuvax.bitnet> breek@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>In addition to the preceding comments, let me say that SADE has one of the
>neatest "About..." dialogs I have ever seen.

	The MPW 3.0 Shell has a really cute one too -- it's 74K (a little
under 74,000 bytes) of code, in a tool called "AboutBox" that gets invoked
when you choose About MPW...

	I threw it away. No about box is worth 74K of my precious disk space.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/23/89)

In article <1060@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
|In article <346breek@byuvax.bitnet> breek@byuvax.bitnet writes:
|>In addition to the preceding comments, let me say that SADE has one of the
|>neatest "About..." dialogs I have ever seen.
|
|	The MPW 3.0 Shell has a really cute one too -- it's 74K (a little
|under 74,000 bytes) of code, in a tool called "AboutBox" that gets invoked
|when you choose About MPW...
|
|	I threw it away. No about box is worth 74K of my precious disk space.

Hmmm.  My 3.0B1 came with nothing of the sort, and the About box is
just a picture (fancier than the old beach ball, more like the drawing
on the cover of MPW manuals).  Maybe you developers got an earlier (or
a later) version of MPW 3 ...

Also while the SADE About box takes some amount of extra code, there
is no ancillary tool to run that either, that I could see.

	/JBL
= =
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/24/89)

In article <34937@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>Hmmm.  My 3.0B1 came with nothing of the sort, and the About box is
>just a picture (fancier than the old beach ball, more like the drawing
>on the cover of MPW manuals).  Maybe you developers got an earlier (or
>a later) version of MPW 3 ...

	The version I have is allegedly the final version; the about box
is a toolbox, and little pieces fly up out of it to assemble into a disk,
which then gets spray-painted by a little airbrush.

	Like I said - real cute, but not worth it.

R.

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

breek@byuvax.bitnet (01/24/89)

Rich-
Think of those disk-space-expensive About... doodads as gift wrapping.
They are neat when you first get the package, but expendible. I will keep
mine intact, but then, I keep used gift wrapping paper, too...

-Lyle

erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (12/07/89)

In article <1890@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@]2;hacke1: /tmp]1;hacke1dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:

>I have a IIci and using SADE as a debugger. It's very good.

	Well I dunno about the IIci but as far as SADE goes IMHO it's a
piece of crap. I'm using a IIcx and it is so *SLOW*. It's also
unfriendly, unintuitive and just doesn't work properly. My project
involves two sets of sources in different folders. If two files have the
same name this really screws SADE. Also when highlighting code SADE
frequently highlights the wrong text. Compared to the debuggers that
SYMANTEC produce all I can say is SADE sucks! If it wasn't for the fact
that Apple are paying for this project I would have thrown out MPW long
ago.
		Tony Cunningham

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk

	"If the thunder don't get ya then the lightnin' will."

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/11/89)

In article <1332@castle.ed.ac.uk> erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:
|In article <1890@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d6maca@]2;hacke1: /tmp]1;hacke1dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:
|>
|>I have a IIci and using SADE as a debugger. It's very good.
|>
|	Well I dunno about the IIci but as far as SADE goes IMHO it's a
|piece of crap. I'm using a IIcx and it is so *SLOW*. . . .

I have had err, well, a sneak look at the SADE that has been released
with MPW 3.1-Beta, and in my opinion it seemed much faster than SADE 1.0.
Thank goodness.  I understand the comments about its lack of
intuitiveness and unfriendliness, but I suspect it's a case of "to get
to know it is to like it"-- when I have finally had the opportunity to
use it for real over a period of time, AND to customize it with some
appropriate scripts, I think I'll like it a lot more.  It does come
with some scripts to help those who know the Macsbug commands (which I
don't very well, since I use and like TMON).

I have no familiarity with the THINK C debugger (though I may break
down and get TC 4 one day for its class library), so I can't compare
it to SADE.  I have of course heard very good things about it.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |