[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Int'l String, etc.

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/12/89)

th.EDU> <9247@hoptoad.uucp>
In article <9247@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>In article <17695@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
>(Earle R. Horton) writes:
>>The last check won't do much for you if the last item in the Apple
>>menu is "A-propos de MultiFinder," "Uber den MultiFinder," or
>>something in Kanji, Devanagari, Urdu, Hebrew, Arabic, Tamil,
>>Icelandic, Spanish, ...
>
>Sure it will.  I hope you aren't running around embedding string
>constants in your code!  At the time when you update all the STR# and
>STR resources for the new language, you would also change the string
>for "About MultiFinder..."

        Try again, Tim!  You theory would be true IF I ran the Hebrew version
of my Application under the Hebrew system - but why can't I run the English
version under the Hebrew System!??!  Especially when developers DON'T Localize
their software, this is done VERY frequently!
        Earle point is correct, you CAN NOT assume strings in menus or positions
of those strings becuase you have no guarentee of what system (or version of a
system) you will be run under..If you REALLY wanted to you could use STR#
where the index into the string was = to the script ID# (fontScript or
smScriptNumber from GetScript) - but this assumes that Apple will never change
these constants and isn't this sort of hardcoding anyway ;-)

>>You cannot get this information from the Apple menu.
>
>Sure you can, if you're programming your strings correctly.

        No you can't!  Sorry.....

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025